Hire a private DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no reason to hire a private DM unless you just want to. I think some folks do it just to have a DM all to themselves, for refresher courses, or they are nervous about diving with others that may have more experience than them, or several other reasons ... pretty much up to you.

BA DM's will take good care of you.

Most likely you will be on a "six-pack/fast boat" at Blue Angel if you are diving the regular morning, afternoon dive or twilight/night dives, you probably won't have to ask. They generally use the larger boats for the mid-morning "cruise shippers & mainlanders" dive that goes out around 10:30-11:00am, or when there is a large group that want to dive together.

If you are diving with Blue Angel then ask to get on their smaller , faster boat and the group size will be perfect. Ask to dive with Jose! He is fantastic! He quickly sees your ability level and then keeps a close eye on who needs some closer attention! I would try this first and then if you feel you still need a private DM then I am sure they can arrange it for you there right on site! Have a fun trip!

I hate to disagree with you but I think that kind of reinforces the idea that Coz DM's are there to take care of you and baby you. I also think that a diver that does need the extra attention but chooses not to pay for it is also unfair to the rest of the group as besides often needing a change in dive plans the DM is now spending his time looking after a diver needing help instead of doing what he should be doing which is leading the group.

My opinion is that new divers to Cozumel need to be able to safely dive even if separated from the group and their buddy. This applies more to less experienced divers who do not have the basic diving experience and comfort to adapt to non-standard situations. Relying upon a buddy for your safety is not ideal since self-reliance and the ability to safely respond to situations on your own is a far better goal.

I have created a list of things that I would want to know if I were new to Cozumel. I have to recreate it now so it may not be complete:

1) Be able to ascend, remain at a safety stop and surface with a buddy and alone. This means you have to maintain a depth while drifting and be able to listen for boats before you surface.

2) Be able to follow the groups bubbles when they enter a swim through and you do not.

3) Be able to drop behind a coral head to let the group catch up to you.

4) Get separated from the group (ahead and behind) and find them by their bubbles.

5) Get separated from the group in a swim through and find your way out.

6) Know how to respond to a down current

This seems lacking but you get the idea. A private divemaster could probably do all these, (some multiple times) on two dives.

It is fine to disagree!! I never thought about it this way! Good point!!
I hate to disagree with you but I think that kind of reinforces the idea that Coz DM's are there to take care of you and baby you. I also think that a diver that does need the extra attention but chooses not to pay for it is also unfair to the rest of the group as besides often needing a change in dive plans the DM is now spending his time looking after a diver needing help instead of doing what he should be doing which is leading the group.

I have had to do that a couple of times. I freely admit it was a little scary.

That is why I usually go over/around.

Dear Ron,

Plus you never see anything interesting in a swim through!

Dave

I hire a private DM if I think any member of my dive group might possibly delay or inconvenience other divers on the boat because of depth limitations, time since last dive, new dive environment, or a physical limitation. I don't mind being in the water with new divers or those having some problems, but I know a lot of highly experienced divers get irked if they have to wait for anyone. I try my best to avoid detracting from others' dive experience.

I hire a private DM if I think any member of my dive group might possibly delay or inconvenience other divers on the boat because of depth limitations, time since last dive, new dive environment, or a physical limitation. I don't mind being in the water with new divers or those having some problems, but I know a lot of highly experienced divers get irked if they have to wait for anyone. I try my best to avoid detracting from others' dive experience.

I find that by and large folks diving together are pretty tolerant and considerate of each other. If I have to wait on less experienced divers on descent, or if they have to wait on me to come up, we usually all manage to get along pretty well.

The purpose of the Dive Master in Cozumel is that the national park stipulates that every set of 8 divers have to be accompanied by a DM to lead the dive and ensure that the rules are followed. Having said that, the DM will help the divers in the group if need be. Their purpose however is not to be the personal dive buddy of each diver.

For this reason divers that are very new to diving, haven't dived for a long time, are uncomfortable with their first drift dives and generally want some added supervision and help should hire a DM for at least the first couple of dives in Cozumel. The depths and occasionally very strong currents can make first dives intimidating and potentially dangerous.

Although a relatively experienced diver, I hired a DM when my daughter first started diving as it was unfair to me and to her to expect her to be my dive buddy. Furthermore at the age of 11 she was not able to go to the depths that most Cozumel dives go to and so we would be separated from the main group. For these reasons we hired a DM to run a separate dive for us.

love your signature

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom