History of 18m depth limit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've taken quite a few OWs to 30+ metres ive also declinded taking some AOWs to the same depths, depends entirely on the diver and assessing them before you go deep. Log books can tell you a desent amount but not as much as actually seeing them in the water or even just watching them set up gear. If some asks why they need the BCD or if they are white as a sheet I'm not taking that risk.

As a current student, waiting to schedule his quarry dive, I can say I have less than zero desire to extend beyond 60’ until I have far more experience under my belt.

I guess my conservatism may factor into this mind set. But have to say, reading about all the diving fatalities, including even legendary divers, convinces me I am thinking about this correctly.

I have no desire to become another statistic.

This activity is not without serious risk, caution, especially for new divers, is certainly warranted.

As a current student, waiting to schedule his quarry dive, I can say I have less than zero desire to extend beyond 60’ until I have far more experience under my belt.

It does look far less gloomy and intimidating in 28C clear blue water with 40m vis. But then again, most things on a reef live where it's light and warm, in the top 20-ish metres anyway.

@Vorlon
On January 4, 2019 the OP Vorlan stated:

"Hi all, does anyone remember what year PADI started the 18m depth limit for Open Water? I got certified in the 1980s and was under the impression that I was certified to 30m. Was there a change in standards at some point? On a recent trip I was shocked when a 22 year old member of the dive team suggested I should not go deeper than 18m! Thanks "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The depth limits were in place and popularized by LA Co, 1954, In the LA Co UW Instruction manual Underwater Recreation followed NAUI 1960, then PADI 1969 instructors manual and copy cat fashion when most of the rest of the instructor's orgabzations were and still are being created. It was and still is one of basic laws of diving.

It has never been questioned as to it origin until recently

SDM

from my 2003 open water manual (I got my cert 2005). I was under the impression that 30m was the ow hard limit, but I should start shallower and get deeper as I got more experience.
image.jpg

Notice some things it says:
  • "Divers with appropriate experience and/or training may dive as deep as 40/m/130 feet."
  • "Decompression diving falls outside of recreational diving...."
Read it again carefully, and you will see that the following summarizes it accurately:
Start your personal diving by adhering to your 60 feet training limit. You can extend that depth to as much as 40m/130 feet with appropriate experience and/or training. If you go beyond that, you are doing a decompression dive and can no longer use the Recreational Dive Planner to guide you.​

Notice some things it says:
  • "Divers with appropriate experience and/or training may dive as deep as 40/m/130 feet."
  • "Decompression diving falls outside of recreational diving...."
Read it again carefully, and you will see that the following summarizes it accurately:
Start your personal diving by adhering to your 60 feet training limit. You can extend that depth to as much as 40m/130 feet with appropriate experience and/or training. If you go beyond that, you are doing a decompression dive and can no longer use the Recreational Dive Planner to guide you.​
If you read closer it says with training and experience you can go to 30m

It then says with training and/or experience you can then go to 40m

If you read closer it says with training and experience you can go to 30m

It then says with training and/or experience you can then go to 40m
Believe me, I have been through this with PADI before. "Training and experience" means "training and/or experience."

As a former English teacher, I can assure you that it is also true in standard English usage. If you wanted to say that one of those two was specifically required, you would have to say that specifically.

from my 2003 open water manual (I got my cert 2005). I was under the impression that 30m was the ow hard limit, but I should start shallower and get deeper as I got more experience.
View attachment 755775

As in the 1980 PADI OW manual, these are just the general rules for using the dive tables.

20221128_152812.jpg

As a former English teacher, I can assure you that it is also true in standard English usage. If you wanted to say that one of those two was specifically required, you would have to say that specifically.

Not to mention that is an aside in reference to using the dive tables rather than a statement about the depth limits and certification in diving. In the 1980 manual they also referenced depths in their recommendations for dive planning.

20221128_152947.jpg

I can’t be bothered arguing. Let’s say we agree to disagree. My read of that is somewhere between 1980 and 2003 PADI decided to put a 18m limit on open water certified divers.

And/or is a very specific phrase that’s different to and. However I believe you when you say that PADI might see them as the same.

Who really cares anyway, I’ve already wasted some good coin on doing my aow. I only did it so I can dive the way I’ve always done from private trips when I’m with a dive operator.

Back
Top Bottom