History of Diving Museum, FL Keys - Review?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s pretty good. Worth seeing once for sure.

I thought it was really cool. The first pic has a display of a person who did adaptive diving. They had a lot of really nice exhibits. Like other people have said. All in for one visit. Would I rather be diving, yes, but it killed an afternoon while we were off-gassing.

I also couldnt imagine the guts it takes to get in one of those hard suits. No way for me ever. They had several on display.

The only negative is taking the left turn to go back to Key Largo that was a mother bleeper.

Attachments

• IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1159.JPG
    IMG_1159.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 50
Thought it was well worth it. Spent 4 hours there, but could have stayed all. The wife had to put up with me. Will definitely go again, next time I'm in the Keys and diving is blown out.

I've been. It's interesting, worth a visit.

For me, a point of sensitivity with museums is the authenticity of the items as presented. For example, the Truman "Little White House" nearby has decor, furnishings, and props that, while contemporaneous and individually genuine, were in most cases never actually a part of the "Little White House" during the historical period being depicted. They were purchased individually and arranged in some curator's vision of what the place perhaps looked like back in the day. Much of the historical fabric, IMO, has been lost, especially since the museum and its docents don't acknowledge the extent to which this has occurred unless asked and don't cite any photographs, interviews, etc., that they may have used to recreate the rooms.

The History of Diving museum has some of the same problem. I also noted that some of the displays were in poor condition due to a lack of proper cleaning and caretaking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom