HMAS Adelaide Being Sunk 27th March On Central Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracy_from_oz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Guys

Is anyone else going on the 27th March to see the scuttling of the HMAS Adelaide as a dive site on the coast?

I know the festivities start @ 7am @ Avoca Beach. But you will also get a good view from Terrigal Skillion.
One problem whether you go to Terrigal or Avoca will be parking.

I also heard a rumour the Terrigal Haven boat ramp is closed to the public fo the day.

Hi Guys

There is a talk about the HMAS Adelaide being sunk at the Marine Discovery Centre on Friday 26th March.

Date: Friday 26th March
Start @ 7:30 PM
Finish @ 9 PM
Location @ Discovery Centre, on Terrigal Drive near the fire station.

Cost $10 per person

Must be Pre Booked on 0243494756 or email admin@ccmdc.org.au

Just so you guys know, id book it in advance if you want to go, so they know numbers but it also gets popular, but the space for seating is kinda small space.

Also guys the Terrigal boat ramp is closed on the 27th. There are traffic diversions in place for North Avoca and Terrigal. The road into Terrigal Haven is apparently going to be closed too.

Scuttling of the Ex-HMAS Adelaide

This is copied and pasted from the RTA web site so I hope it doesnt break copyright

Scuttling of the Ex-HMAS Adelaide off the NSW Central Coast
Saturday, 27 March 2010
There will be road closures and special event clearways in Avoca Beach, North Avoca, Terrigal, Kincumber and Forresters Beach to facilitate the scuttling of the Ex-HMAS Adelaide.

Scuttling of the Ex-HMAS Adelaide
Description: Scuttling of the Ex-HMAS Adelaide.
Event date: Saturday, 27 March 2010
Time: Midnight - 4pm

Roads will be closed in Avoca Beach, North Avoca, Terrigal Haven and Forresters Beach from midnight to 2pm on Saturday, 27 March 2010 to facilitate the scuttling of the Ex-HMAS Adelaide. Residents who live on roads that are closed can drive into their street until 8am. At all times motorists can drive out of roads that are closed. Pedestrians will have access to roads that are closed at all times, unless advised by New South Wales Police.

Motorists are advised to expect delays and allow additional travel time.

Special event clearways will be enforced in Avoca Beach, North Avoca, Terrigal and Kincumber from 4am to 4pm Saturday to assist with the movement of traffic and emergency vehicles. Motorists are advised to check signs before parking. Vehicles parked in special event clearways will be towed to the nearest street where their vehicle can legally park and fines apply. If your vehicle has been towed please call 132 701 to find out where your vehicle is.

The Terrigal Haven boat ramp will be closed to the general public on the day.

There is limited parking and large crowds are expected on the day. Spectators are advised not to drive to the event and to use the free park and ride shuttle bus.

A free park and ride shuttle bus service will operate from the following locations between 6am and 3.30pm:
- Frost Reserve, Kincumber - to Avoca Beach
- Duffy's Reserve, Terrigal - to North Avoca

A local shuttle bus will operate from Pinetree Lane behind the Crowne Plaza Terrigal to North Avoca.

LOL, I didn't even know they were doing this, I've been cycling past it on the way to work thinking I wonder what they're doing with that old warship :)

Yesterday "No Ship Action Group Inc" applied for a stay of the permit granted under s19 of the Environment Protection (Sea Dumping) Act.

Today the NSW Administrative Decisions Tribunal has decided to conduct a full urgent hearing into the matter - having heard the ship was due to be towed out tomorrow.

Doesn't sound like they've got much evidence, the groups solicitor indicated she had little evidence due to the tight timeframe. Justice Downes said he could give little weight to it.

Hi guys

This is very disappointing to say the least, but hopefully it will be resolved with the end result being her being sunk as a dive site.

Yes the environment comes first, but by all media accounts that has already been done and signed off on.

To be honest there is a campaign going on around Terrigal and Avoca at the moment with signs up saying "No Ship" and apparently a web site.
You can see the signs on Terrigal Drive, and as you go into Avoca on Avoca Drive

People are mad it is off Avoca when it has been said for years off Terrigal but in reality it has always been off Avoca if you look at the maps.
But yes in the media and media releases it has always said Terrigal.
However I do beleive the assumption by the majority was that she was being sunk off Terrigal.

About 6 weeks ago the "No Ship" campaign emerged and I believe maybe the Avoca board riders association came out as well and said they didn't want it, (dont quote me there I am remembering things from the local paper the Express Advocate) there mainly because they thought it was off Terrigal and that it will wreck the surfing.

My personal opinion on this, I think there is a group that just doesn't want the extra people on the coast. Yes leave your tourist money at the door but it seems they don't want the extra bodies cramming their cafes or their waves.
We have been going on about the Ex HMAS Adelaide for years and only 6 weeks out are people suddenly having problems with it being here.
This is just my opinion no one else's.

Honestly if everything has been done correctly, she should be sunk. Besides the marine life attracted and the economy boost I think this is a good thing.
Some don't and I respect that, but I don't think it is going to change the size of the wave or the break of it, as has been speculated.

I do feel sorry for the person who organised Saturday and the events, and who ever paid for it.

That sucks, does sound very NIMBY. Doesn't sound like they've got much chance of winning the case, the sinking was approved by the federal environment minister. The Judge didn't seem to put much weight on their argument so I suspect with due process it'll be dismissed but it must be frustrating for the organisers.

Plans to sink warship scuttled by court order - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Plans to sink warship scuttled by court order

HMAS Adelaide will remain in Sydney Harbour for the time being, after the New South Wales Government was forced to cancel its plans to scuttle the decommissioned frigate this weekend.

The Adelaide was due to be towed from Sydney Harbour today and sunk off Avoca beach on the central coast as a diving attraction.

But campaigners have been trying to stop it going ahead, saying it will pollute the water.

An 11th-hour stay of proceedings by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal has put plans to sink the ship on hold.

There was a family beach festival organised to coincide with the sinking, but the PR company managing the event says all festivities have been called off.

A spokesman for the Avoca Beach No Ship Action Group, Ben Smith, says they are happy the case will be heard in court.

"It's still not over yet. We've still got a lot of work to do," he said.

Dr Marian Lloyd-Smith, a senior adviser to the National Toxic Network, says dangerous chemicals are supposed to be removed from ships before they are scuttled, and she does not think that has happened with the Adelaide.

"Electrical cables that show any evidence of fluid weeping must be removed in their entirety," she said.

"Well we have photos of quite a nasty, viscous substance seeping from these electrical cables still on board and that would go down with the ship."

The Minister with responsibility for the project, Tony Kelly, says the tribunal's decision will come as a blow to many.

"This is terribly disappointing for those people on the central coast who worked so hard and so long to make this a reality," he said.

The tribunal is expected to set a new court date later this morning.

HMAS Adelaide was the navy ship involved in the 2001 children overboard affair. It was decommissioned in Perth in 2008.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom