HMCS Annapolis - attempts to sink "sunk" by DFO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow ... I hesitate to say much, because last time I posted something about it on ScubaBoard my comments were taken out of context by the Halkett Bay NIMBYs and used against the ARSBC plan.

However, they really got this one backwards. Our dive team surveyed the area and provided HD video of the bottom. Besides a handful of head-sized rocks that had metridiums growing on them, there was absolutely NOTHING growing down there. Not crabs, not fish ... nothing. It's a silty wasteland.

The ship would actually provide habitat ... as others have elsewhere ... that would attract marine life into Halkett Bay. I'm speaking now strictly as a diver who has watched what has happened elsewhere when structures were added in shallow, silty places that formerly didn't have them (Brackett Landing Marine Park, for example).

This whole controversy boils down to nothing more than a bunch of well-financed people who don't want to share "their" bay with the public. Their "environmental" concerns are a crock ... how much environmental damage do you suppose they did when they built their houses overlooking the bay ... how much runoff and sewage do you suppose they contribute to the very body of water they profess they're trying to protect?

Looks like in Canada, as in the USA, those with the most money influence what's "best" for the general welfare of everybody else ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It is hard to believe. We saw a presentation at Divescapes here in Calgary in October. The area of the sinking looked like a moonscape. One could only imagine the increased habitiat that the ship would have provided.

To be honest, to someone watching on the periphery, none of this makes any sense.

OMG.

I read that and it's just stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'm willing to go to the site and video MORE in HD with lights to show the bottom. I think it's time we worked the other side of the coin and got some media attention for this.

This is horrible. Reminds me of the crap with Kelvin Grove.

Anyone know where the results of their impact assessment can be found?

This just REEEKS of one group having A LOT of money to throw at this.

It's funny how money can trump facts...

I'm curious to see how the ARSBC will respond.

Anyone know where the results of their impact assessment can be found?

This just REEEKS of one group having A LOT of money to throw at this.

It is a letter from DFO not an "Environmental Impact Assessment" and was sent to the artifical reef society in early December.

A copy of the letter can be found at the Save Halkett Bay website:
Save Halkett Bay - DFO says Go

It is certainly kind of hard to read the way it is posted on the website.

I have dove the site also and I agree, there is nothing there. The ship would only enhance the life and give it a place to grow.

We should take all the decision makers for a dive there, then they will see the bareness of the site first hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom