HMHS Britannic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to have the opportunity to dive her without the insane process that it took to get permission from the Greek government.

The summer of 22, I plan on diving the Carl Bradley in Lake Michigan at a planned depth of 330' with the mud at 365-70'. This year I'm focusing on wrecks in the 250-300 range if I work up properly to them. So Britannic isnt out of the range that I'll do, but I'm not familiar with deep currents, super active shipping lanes, and using down lines (grapples).

Any insight you can offer?

Typically there is not significant current, and if there is any current it's in the shallows (wind generated). The entire Kea Channel is a shipping channel, but it's very wide (miles) and a proper operator knows how to monitor traffic to avoid issues. If you are diving the BRADLEY or other deep wrecks in the Great Lakes, you'll also be using a down line, so you shouldn't have any issues. Static down lines make things easy, but you obviously need to have the requisite skills and experience to deal with shooting bags, conducting drifting deco, etc., if the need arises.

We grapple quite a few wrecks and if we plan on doing the same wreck we will attach a permanent line. What I was getting at was that I heard the Greek government did not allow for grappling and preferred drop lines instead. And with currents, I wondered how that would work unless you use a heavy enough weight.

Only one wreck in the Great Lakes system has a super heavy current that even grappling is a bad idea which is the Roy Jodry in the St. Lawrence

The first team in will install an upline at a predetermined location on the first dive versus grappling the wreck. With multiple expeditions running during the season these days, I am not sure if they are leaving the upline in place with a subsurface float to avoid shipping traffic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom