Hmmmm, not such spectacular backing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something better than 25% cost that made him happy.

The basis for my discontent was the apparent parallel universes. In Canada, this issue has been handled by SW, notably with an apparent "extension" of warranty period, even to "undocumented" products (they are discussed here on SB). In the United States, this isn't the case. SW did however, after some comments from me, adjust it's stance on this, offering a solution more in line with what was happening in Canada. As it is an independent contractor working in the US as the repair center, it has to cover costs regarding the repair. I'm good with that.

Point being, if I had sent it directly to SW in BC when I was up in Canada when it died, it is highly likely it would have been handled differently. Once home in the US, SW directed me to send it to the US based repair center, opening the door to the parallel universe.

Again, I understand the Repair Center's business needs, and I thank SW for assisting to remedy this.

Walking the line between keeping the customer happy and protecting your business allies is always a tricky one. Glad to see SW found a way, almost every other manufacturer would not even have tried to find a compromise.

I'm with the masses here... I would have accepted the initial offer, maybe I would have been a little annoyed.
My Perdix may have 18 months remaining on the warranty by the time it first gets wet, but that's my fault for getting one much sooner then needed.
All and all if the OP is happy with the final results, then good job @Shearwater for all you do.

I think you meant *realist. I'm aware of the positive feedback on Shearwater's customer service. But, even if everyone with an out of warranty Shearwater was given a brand new computer with a free steak dinner and then I wasn't given a thing, I still wouldn't complain.

Last edited:
The number of dives on the computer is irrelevant because it represents only a very small percentage of the possible wear and tear on the computer during that warranty period plus the six months following. From the point of view of SW, was it banged around, exposed to extreme heat, played with by some kid, etc.? Not saying the OP's computer was abused, but how is SW going to know what happened to it in 2 and 1/2 years?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom