Hog and DIR gear configurations not welcome :-(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txaggie08

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How unfriendly the mainstream agencies are to anything remotely resembling hog or dir gear setups. Our FD had us run through rescue diver(padi) this weekend, and, while the class was well run, helpful, and a helluva challenge, the use of hogarthian style gear is so strongly discouraged, it's to the point of "no long hoses".

Why are people so under the impression that the long hose is a strangulation hazard? I understand PADI has a set of standards they've deemed as the "right" way to do things, and I'm sure through DM and instructor I will be blessed with having to do it that way, but I do not understand the mentality, or the extreme angst about primary donation...

I don't get the snorkle obsession either but we wont go there :)

Not knocking the class or agency, I certainly learned more and was pushed farther than any training I've had to under go, well past my limits of fitness(working to change that), i just don't get the angst about the gear setup.....

It's not the agency, it's the individual instructors. There is nothing in PADI standards that discourages the use of a Hog rig.

How unfriendly the mainstream agencies are to anything remotely resembling hog or dir gear setups. Our FD had us run through rescue diver(padi) this weekend, and, while the class was well run, helpful, and a helluva challenge, the use of hogarthian style gear is so strongly discouraged, it's to the point of "no long hoses".

Why are people so under the impression that the long hose is a strangulation hazard? I understand PADI has a set of standards they've deemed as the "right" way to do things, and I'm sure through DM and instructor I will be blessed with having to do it that way, but I do not understand the mentality, or the extreme angst about primary donation...

I don't get the snorkle obsession either but we wont go there :)

Not knocking the class or agency, I certainly learned more and was pushed farther than any training I've had to under go, well past my limits of fitness(working to change that), i just don't get the angst about the gear setup.....

No offense, but you should have probably selected another instructor with a DIR background...

I think some shops have that sort of outlook, so their instructors conform to that view.

-Mitch

OP -- There really IS no PADI prohibition on a Hog rig -- honest.

Re the Snorkel -- that is not just PADI. Having the requirement of having a snorkel "as part of my kit" is not an issue with a roll-up snorkel and a pocket!

Did your instructor tell you this was a PADI requirement? If so, he is mistaken.

Just ask the instructor to do a quick air share drill with you. After futzing around trying to locate and restow their octo while you watch they may come around. Of course, they may ask what an air share drill is but...

Possible reasons:

Instructor has never seen a rig 'outside of the norm' and is afraid to be seen as anything less than the most knowledgeable diver.
Instr has seen it used badly- ie. a diver used a long hose more as a 'bling' thing as opposed to knowing how to use it.
Instr believes that long hoses and 'rec diving' belong to different camps and the twain should not meet.
No doubt there are others- I'm not excusing the instructor- personally I believe that divers that have contact with different equipment setups are increasing their general awareness which is only a good thing.

btw snorkels are useful during Rescue exercises. For example they allow faster in water swimming ascents keeping eyes on the victim.

peter- reading the rescue course materials, it very much seemed like they "push" towards the "standard" gear configuration. Maybe it was a misreading on my part, I know 99% of the shops I've dealt with have either looked at me stupid, or called it dangerous and stated they prefer I not use it.

This was a very good instructor. He knew his material, and expected us to perform before he passed(he cut us considerable leeway after we proved we could do the skill, we where all quite exhausted, but still required performance to a reasonable standard) us on a particular skill. As far as the snorkel goes, the only real use I had for one was the swim out from shore with no gear, and even then I got along ok without it. Not saying they're never useful, but I don't see the point in them for most dives.

I'm not sure why this specific shop has the long hose, primary donate hate. There arguments all boiled down to "I don't like having to take my primary out because a panicking diver may cause you to have trouble getting your backup in, and the long hose i s a choking hazard that someone may grab". My reply was "If a panicking diver has snatched my reg, tilting my head forward and down will allow it to come off, and there's no physical way short of them intentionally trying they're going to choke me with it. I'm not going to offer someone my primary until my secondary is in my mouth, and if they're going to snatch, they're going to either pop my secondary loose, or take the one in my mouth".

Like I said, I agreed to disagree, and adapted to what they wanted, just surprised the farther towards this style of diving I go, the more people fight it....hard.

I've been fighting for the "surrender the primary" concept for almost four decades now. I simply can't believe that it continues, but then I've also been arguing for the utility of having a snorkel on your mask at all times for almost as long.:D

I have no problem with people having long hoses, wings, one peice harness etc on any Rescue course I do.

I just ask that they have no objection to me cutting off their harness as part of my "add realism" to the course :wink:

---------- Post added May 6th, 2012 at 11:28 AM ----------

In all seriousness, there is no issue with having a Hog set-up or something similiar on the rescue course.

On the last course I ran, there were divers in "standard" recreational kit, one using a long hose, one in a wing and we even utilised a CCR diver on the course too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom