Hog D1 Classic 2nd Stage Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darrel Conger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I purchased 2 Hog D1 2nd Stages and a Hog D3 First Stage. One of the 2nd Stages had a slow leak under pressure with the breathing tension set to minimum. When I took over the cover and purge valve of both 2nd Stages there was a clear washer around the edge of the unit that did not leak (see photo). The same washer in he leaking unit was under the diaphragm. After looking at some other regulator diagrams, I moved the washer (not sure if it's called a thrust washer or just a diaphragm washer) on top of the diaphragm like the other regulator and the leak stopped.

This washer does not appear in any of the videos or pictures that I can find on the Hog D1. In the pictures of the parts kit its also not an item. Does anyone know if this a newly added item? Why was it added and when?

Attachments

• DSCN9372.jpg
    DSCN9372.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 427
The thrust washer in the above picture is in the correct position. It is in place to prevent lateral friction on the diaphragm.

"Prevent lateral friction" Ill have to remember to use that instead of "getting $hi+ twisted when screwing cover down". For what its worth all my hog regs have them and I havent seen them in any other regs I have owned.

Prevent twisting the diaphragm when screwing the front cover, the cover slide over the ring (hard) and not the diaphragm (rubber)
My AQUALUNG Titan LX, Legend, has the same part.

Thanks everyone. Putting the one that was behind the diaphragm certainly stopped the slow leak. It's interesting that none of the videos or diagrams show one in place. Probably was put in the wrong place during assembly. Again thanks. I love the setup now.

Thanks everyone. Putting the one that was behind the diaphragm certainly stopped the slow leak. It's interesting that none of the videos or diagrams show one in place. Probably was put in the wrong place during assembly. Again thanks. I love the setup now.

You have to take "the course" for that.

The Zenith 2nd stage cover thread onto the case and is different than the HOG Classic 2nd Stage (There is no such thing as a HOG D1 2nd stage, the D1 is a first stage only) and as such if we did not have a thrust washer the diaphragm would be twisted to s**t as another pointed out. The washer is to prevent that on the Zenith primarily. However since we are now using the thrust washer we could also use a slightly thinner diaphragm to get a little more responsiveness. Older Classics use a thicker diaphragm and as the cover doesn't twist against the diaphragm doesn't have to have the washer. The Zeniths definitely need the washer and new production Classic 2nd stages using the thinner diaphragm should use the washer as an added safety margin to tearing up the diaphragm.

The Zenith 2nd stage cover thread onto the case and is different than the HOG Classic 2nd Stage (There is no such thing as a HOG D1 2nd stage, the D1 is a first stage only) and as such if we did not have a thrust washer the diaphragm would be twisted to s**t as another pointed out. The washer is to prevent that on the Zenith primarily. However since we are now using the thrust washer we could also use a slightly thinner diaphragm to get a little more responsiveness. Older Classics use a thicker diaphragm and as the cover doesn't twist against the diaphragm doesn't have to have the washer. The Zeniths definitely need the washer and new production Classic 2nd stages using the thinner diaphragm should use the washer as an added safety margin to tearing up the diaphragm.

Then I must have the "older" Classic second stages, because neither have washers in them. FWIW the diaphragms don't seem to twist, nor do they leak...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom