HOG D1 Mouthpiece on 2 Sets of Regs Torn after Two Dive Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm very particular about mouthpieces and hate with a passion the style that Hog comes with. I hate most mouthpieces on stock regs. I buy the style I like by the bag every year or two... They are consumables and sometimes they break, but at $3 or so, and 2 minutes to change...

Hog are nothing special, I've never found a mouthpiece that wouldn't fit.

+1. Cant stand the HOG el cheapo mouthpieces and swapped it the day I bought my reg.

Juuuust out of curiosity here....these regs are all the rage on every single thread. I'm curious as to why a normal mouthpiece can't be fitted to these things. People want to replace them under warranty or send them back? For a mouthpiece? Is it THAT proprietary of a mouthpiece or have these last two threads in three days about this problem just been related to "I didn't know a mouthpiece could be replaced myself and my dive shop didn't want to help" sort of thing?

Actually, from the picture, it looks like there's a size mismatch between the regulator body and the mouthpiece. The rubber is either too small or way too thin. The bulge where it cracked shouldn't be there.

Unless the new mouthpiece is bigger or stronger, I'd avoid it and pick up something that actually fits.

flots.

One tip how to save the day if you have a bad mouthpieces:
- if you have a snorkel with you take the
mouthpieces from the snorkel and
put it on the reg. Use one cable tie. Tie it. Use poket knife or
scissors to cut the tail.

+1. Cant stand the HOG el cheapo mouthpieces and swapped it the day I bought my reg.

Not sure the are as you put it 'el cheapo' mouth pieces... Personally wasn't a big fan of the feel in my mouth so swapped them out for comfo bites. Just for the record I defy someone to produce a mouth piece NOT made in China/Taiwan.

I know looking through the LDS selection of mouth pieces the equivalent ones to the HOG ring in around $10 while my comfo bites are ~$2 each in bulk.

I too love the comfo bites and have them on all of my regs. I'm a "chewer" during a dive and tend to wear them out after a dozen or so dives anyway. I would just call DRIS and see what they can do for you. I'm sure they will help in any way they can. I would think mouth pieces would be classifies as "consumables" anyway. Just like the center tip on a mig welder. I'm not going to blast a welder manufacturer on a forum because a center tip got all buggered up with welding splatter. I'm just going to replace the darned thing. B.

I know looking through the LDS selection of mouth pieces the equivalent ones to the HOG ring in around $10 while my comfo bites are ~$2 each in bulk.

Where do you get them in bulk from? All the websites have them for like $10/ea

Well, I'll note we've used the same mouthpiece for 5 years. No problems until the last month. I actually haven't had a failed mouthpiece in y hands. That makes it hard to say what the problem is. That said, if you have a HOG reg that is less than 2 years old and you have this issue, take a picture of the tear, the whole second stage showing the mouthpiece on it, a copy of your receipt, and if you are claiming two mouthpieces a picture showing both bad mouthpieces at the same time. Send them to us and we'll send you a new mouthpiece(s). Life is easy.

That said WOULD SOMEBODY SEND ME A BAD ONE THAT FAILED IN REAL LIFE SO I CAN TAKE A LOOK AT IT PLEASE???? I KNOW IT'S EASIER TO POST ON SCUBABOARD...BUT PLEASE.

That said WOULD SOMEBODY SEND ME A BAD ONE THAT FAILED IN REAL LIFE SO I CAN TAKE A LOOK AT IT PLEASE???? I KNOW IT'S EASIER TO POST ON SCUBABOARD...BUT PLEASE.

Sorry, when you made that comment that the "until you bite" threw it was humor I ripped my mouth piece in half and threw it in the trash.

Don't mean to break it to ya but we actually choose a fairly expensive one compared to most brands. Mouthpieces are really a personal choice. There are threads on here where people rave about our mouthpiece. Don't like it is not el cheapo :)

---------- Post added September 1st, 2013 at 05:53 PM ----------

Sorry, when you made that comment that the "until you bite" threw it was humor I ripped my mouth piece in half and threw it in the trash.

Yeah well I'll still take care of you.

Seriously folks, there may very well have been a batch issue. Honestly hard to tell without the failed ones in hand, when they were bought, serial numbers etc. Like I said, we haven't had any complaints in 5 years, now we have had 6 mouthpieces that have accounted for these two threads. I sell alot of regs, 6 is not a big number in context...but we want people to be happy with their purchase so of course a newer reg we will work with you.

The reason we don't really do a "warranty" on them is I have seen too many divers that think it's there to bite and chew on versus loosely hold between your teeth.

I am kinda blown away by the interest these two threads have garnered, kinda flattered that some of our detractors are looking that hard for a "GOTCHA!, told you HOG was crap! moment that they glommed on this.. :)

Well, I'll note we've used the same mouthpiece for 5 years. No problems until the last month. I actually haven't had a failed mouthpiece in y hands.

I love the HOG mouth pieces - they fit my small mouth. Mine just gave up the ghost after three years, but Arizona is hard on rubber and I don't consider it a mouthpiece problem. That said, thanks to Jim Lap, I have spares.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom