HOG D1 Mouthpiece on 2 Sets of Regs Torn after Two Dive Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, from the picture, it looks like there's a size mismatch between the regulator body and the mouthpiece. The rubber is either too small or way too thin. The bulge where it cracked shouldn't be there.

I wonder if this is validity to this statement. I know when I installed my new mouthpiece it slid on about half way and seemed ok. I thought about putting the plastic stay tie on right there. But instead I pushed the mouth piece all the way up onto the opening. When I do this the mouth piece seems to be stretched at the lip of the opening. It was so tight that it almost seemed like a stay tie wasn't really needed. However I choose to put it on anyways.

It's at that lip where the bulge is that my mouth pieces have failed.

I actually bought more of what looks like the Hog ones from Trident after my Comfo-Bite tore off.

Last edited:
Zero complaints for 5 years using the same mouthpiece and same second stage body. I have a half dozen in my garage that I just looked at, all over 3 years old and no issues
I wonder if this is validity to this statement. I know when I installed my new mouthpiece it slid on about half way and seemed ok. I thought about putting the plastic stay tie on right there. But instead I pushed the mouth piece all the way up onto the opening. When I do this the mouth piece seems to be stretched at the lip of the opening. It was so tight that it almost seemed like a stay tie wasn't really needed. However I choose to put it on anyways.

Ok, just curious. I'm not a regulator architect so I thought I'd ask.

Out of nine second stages and six years I have only had to replace one HOG mouth piece. I like the design HOG uses as it is made out of soft rubber "or something like it" and it does not hurt my mouth.

I've got four sets... and no issues. I even buy these for my last non hog 2nd. I usually have a sore jaw... but can't report any mouthpiece failures.

Actually, looking at a new out-of-the-box one with the mouthpiece pushed forward as you describe, it does look stressed.

Well, I'll note we've used the same mouthpiece for 5 years. No problems until the last month. I actually haven't had a failed mouthpiece in y hands. That makes it hard to say what the problem is. That said, if you have a HOG reg that is less than 2 years old and you have this issue, take a picture of the tear, the whole second stage showing the mouthpiece on it, a copy of your receipt, and if you are claiming two mouthpieces a picture showing both bad mouthpieces at the same time. Send them to us and we'll send you a new mouthpiece(s). Life is easy.

That said WOULD SOMEBODY SEND ME A BAD ONE THAT FAILED IN REAL LIFE SO I CAN TAKE A LOOK AT IT PLEASE???? I KNOW IT'S EASIER TO POST ON SCUBABOARD...BUT PLEASE.

Do I deal directly with DRIS who I bought them from or with you? I sent Mike at DRIS an email on 22 Aug and a follow up with pics on 23 Aug. I believe he is following up.

Alternatively I can also send you all the requested info you want except the two regs side by side with mouthpieces on as I've already swapped them out with my own bought replacements as I have a dive trip coming up. Best I can do is take both mouth pieces side by side and any other configuration you want. I have not swapped the mouthpieces on the necklace as those are still ok and I can take a pic of the whole reg if you want.

I can mail the defective mouthpieces to you, no problem. Just give me your contact. Hope it will help in your troubleshooting.

Let me know.

Those tears are disquieting, especially on two nearly new regs....just like my nearly new regs....which I shall immediately check out.

I always have zip-ties in my BC pocket and carry a roll of Silicone Rescue tape. That tape would have sealed the tear for a temporary repair.

I have 6 sets of hog regs and just ripped my first mouth piece. all I want to know is where I can buy a couple to have on hand I have looked online at dive gear express "store I bought them from" along with several other shops that sell hog regs and I cannot find these exact mouth pieces to purchase.
They are strong and comfy for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom