Hog D1 Regulator Repair Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BB1, servicing a regulator "in the field" is not something that is done often, if ever. The point is to do preventive maintenance so you don't need to worry about your gear in the field.
I for one would not service a regulator in the field. And lets see how your tune goes when you tear apart a reg full of corrosion. Ultrasonic is pretty much the only tool that will clean the threads, bores, and crevices inside a regulator body.

And yes, I know a far amount about measuring pressure, I worked at a company that makes high accuracy pressure transducers for 5 years. And I have spent the last 9 years in aerospace. :wink:

Nice!

How then would you deal with a situation where you are travelling by yacht in remote locations for long periods of time without access to a dive shop or an ultrasonic cleaner and magnahelix??

This is our plan within the next 12 months and I like to be self sufficient.

Your regs should last 12 months easy without then need for service.
And if your going on that long of a trip bring spare regs.

But if you plan on a very long trip bring a bench top ultrasonic, cleaning agents, and all the tools and parts you would need. The little bench top ultrasonics are more then enough, the parts are not that large.

Who said that??
New HOG 5 Port 1st Stage at TDL

Quote Originally Posted by b1gcountry View Post
Are rebuild kits officially available to end users?

Tom
Only if you have gone through the HOG regulator technican workshop and hold a technical diver certification.

Cheers
JDS

HOG Gear D1 First Stage Service Kit - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
Please inquire about the Service course we offer so you can learn how to Repair your Hog Regs and purchase service kits.

:idk:

I’ve been wondering why so many people are willing to service their own reg

Some of us enjoy that side of our Scuba hobby as well :) I'm also quite meticulous in how I like things done, so while it's taking me time (and $$) to learn to do it myself, at least I know who screwed it up if things go wrong :D

Well your going to need a lot of specialty scuba tools depending on the brand.

While not cheap, with a couple of carts full of quality tools, BB1 would only need a handful of scuba specific tools from scubatools.com. And considering he's used to the prices of Snap-On tools, scubatools will just be a drop in the bucket :wink:

s I said above - local advise was that an inline IP gauge wasn't accurate.

I hope to be introduced to the minority soon :D

As for the inline adjuster - I've only heard good things about the one from Scubatools.

And welcome to the madness :)

Henrik

Some of us enjoy that side of our Scuba hobby as well :) I'm also quite meticulous in how I like things done, so while it's taking me time (and $$) to learn to do it myself, at least I know who screwed it up if things go wrong :D

While not cheap, with a couple of carts full of quality tools, BB1 would only need a handful of scuba specific tools from scubatools.com. And considering he's used to the prices of Snap-On tools, scubatools will just be a drop in the bucket :wink:

As for the inline adjuster - I've only heard good things about the one from Scubatools.

And welcome to the madness :)

Henrik

I'm in a fairly similar bucket with BB1, I have what I would guess well in excess of $5000 worth of tools chilling in my garage from highschool/undergrad when I sold car parts(being manager = buying at store cost :D) and turned wrenches for a living(I had a personal vertical monopoly both selling the parts and replacing them :eyebrow:). There really is not a whole lot inside a regulator or tank valve that you need a special tool for that you can't make a more standard one "work" it just might not be quite as "convenient". Kinda like how some of these people would burn $300+ for anodized aluminum -AN wrenches for aluminum -AN hose fittings....All you needed were your standard wrenches and not act like an idiot with them(IE over torquing and just being generally careless scratching it up). Or one of my all time favorites was a guy that needed a tap wrench to use a 3/4" NPT tap and went out and bought a $200 monster tap wrench just for this when all he needed was a 1/2" drive t-handle and an appropriately sized 12 point socket that would have cost him $20 max :idk:

Ahhh....There should only be the one disclaimer. That Inquire one was the first thing we put up when the parts were put on the site. Many, many, many people have bought them so I never thought there was confusion. Thanks for letting me know and that will be corrected :wink:

I guess it was just a misunderstanding then.

It's really good to see a company where the man running it and his vendors talk on an open forum like this and answer questions themselves rather than paying a highschool kid $7 an hour to answer questions from a script lol.

I guess we will have to just agree to disagree regarding the manual situation, but thats a small item compared to everything else. I'm still holding out hope that you'll come around though :eyebrow:

hoghaynes.jpg

Of course if one of your students accidentally leaked a copy of the manual in pdf format that would pretty much absolve you of any responsibility since anyone in possession of it did so without your knowledge...

roflmao!

I'm still holding out hope that you'll come around though :eyebrow:

hoghaynes.jpg

Of course if one of your students accidentally leaked a copy of the manual in pdf format that would pretty much absolve you of any responsibility since anyone in possession of it did so without your knowledge...

LOL....You never know...we may change our minds next week, month, or year....I can only say what it is right now :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom