Hog D2/D1, Edge Epic first stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaMaDo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there someway to explain the differences (features/benefits) between the D2, edge epic, and D1 first stages?

Hogs are getting increasingly popular and I would like to know the differences.

So far the only thing I know is that the D1 has a turret and 5th port and the other two don't.

Also what's the target market/intended use for the D2 as opposed to the D1 since they are so similarly priced? Is the D2 intended for stage/deco bottles?

Thanks!

the edge's are marketed primarily at the recreational market. Not sure what they're copied off of but at first glance it looks like the Apeks US4, but it's not.
D1 was the first that came out. BAsically an Apeks DST which is on the ATX50's and XTX50's. Nice for sidemount with the turrets and the 5th port works out well for that as well as doubles. They route really really clean. The D2 is new and copied off of the DS4 which is for guys that want the nice flat routing but don't like the turret idea. A LOT of cave and technical divers use the DS4 for their back gas, and they make great stage regs too.

The enviro cap or "cold" cap is really important if you're diving in silt or cold water conditions.

ya man, What are you looking to do with them, may help us narrow it down with you. Call CaveAdventurers or DiveRightinScuba, they can cut some wicked deals on those

+1 for DiveRightInScuba!! They are outstanding.

HOG's regs are aswesome I know a few people that have them and love them. Both Rec/Tec and some people like them enough that they are selling there other regs and switching over. The regs breath as nice and easy as the other brands if not better. Great places to pick them is either Diverightinscuba.com or piranhadivemfg.com

Does anybody have any WOB info on the HOGs? How's hose routing with the D2? Significantly worse than the D1? Anybody know a cave diver that uses the swivel or do they avoid it?

If you are unsure, I would pick the HOG D1 over the others. They are pretty close to the same price, and the swivel plus the turret port on D1 will give you more versatility.

Jim lapenta also carries the Edge/Hog line at udm aquatics. He is also competively priced if you talk to him. I've also had great service experiences with him.

Back
Top Bottom