HOG/EDGE Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regrettably, occasionally a unit would ship without any hole being drilled for ambient pressure to reach the depth sensor.

Actually you don't need to have a hole drilled to the sensor. When I design pressure housing for depth I usually include a flexible membrane that allows the internal pressure to rise with depth. In order to ensure membrane isn't stretched beyond its limits the internal housing is filled with mineral oil (non-compressible fluid). So now the internal pressure is the external pressure.

Seeing as my electronic housings go well beyond tech/rec divers limits the same principle can be applied to wrist mount computer. Actually I would be surprised if it isn't.

Actually you don't need to have a hole drilled to the sensor. When I design pressure housing for depth I usually include a flexible membrane that allows the internal pressure to rise with depth. In order to ensure membrane isn't stretched beyond its limits the internal housing is filled with mineral oil (non-compressible fluid). So now the internal pressure is the external pressure.

Seeing as my electronic housings go well beyond tech/rec divers limits the same principle can be applied to wrist mount computer. Actually I would be surprised if it isn't.

Awww, you're so earnest; that's nice.

Anyway, yeah, the more complicated the better. Why don't you go survey the various higher-end dive computers out there, and let us all know how often you find such a design?

We will be showing the computer at DEMA. It's be doing validation trials.

Being a clean sheet design and something COMPLETELY new for us it's been a pretty big project.

This, however, is interesting...having watched the Atomic Cobalt evolve, I've no doubt it's a big project. What's the design thinking/target market? Rec nitrox only or will there be more gases? More open-ended control over things like gas settings and conservatism during a dive like Liquivision or Shearwater, or more structured like rec computers (set it in advance, can't be altered during dive)? What algorithm(s)? What's new/special about this new design?

I still love the Edge Epic regs I have and really, really, like the new Hog Zenith. Good stuff....good price and awesome quality and service.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new computer. I expect to be impressed.
and I may have to check with my Hog/Edge contact on getting one if I like it.....:wink:

Awww, you're so earnest; that's nice.

Anyway, yeah, the more complicated the better. Why don't you go survey the various higher-end dive computers out there, and let us all know how often you find such a design?

Point of fact it is a simpler design as any penetration in a pressure housing greatly increase the chance of failure. As for how many employ it this technique I'm not sure, but next time I have a couple grand to blow I'll be sure to tear apart a couple Shearwaters and Liquivisions k?

Back
Top Bottom