Hog for Rec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, I know that this forum is under the Tech forum and I'm not a tech diver, but considering Hog is often advocated for Rec Diving I'm not sure where else to post this.

Back around 2000-2004 I had opinions opposite of Hog. In 2005 I started to come around and bought an AL backplate and webbing. Sadly, I then moved to Austin where I found out my wife had cancer. So I retired from diving for the next 7 years with the exception of a week of diving in Jamaica in 2010. A month ago, we decided that I'd get back into diving and that's what brought me here.

I've just purchased a DRIS 28lb BP/W and Hog D1/D2/D2/SPG single tank set and I'm expecting it to be delivered by this weekend. I've googled and read countless threads, watched videos from AG and yet have countless more questions.

Does anyone mind me asking a boat load of questions here? I'm trying to get myself mentally prepared to put my rig together and start playing in the pool getting comfortable with the equipment and the slightly different procedures.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2012 at 08:18 AM ----------

My first question is:

What are a few things that you've learned or experienced that I probably don't know and/or haven't experienced?

Ok, in no particular order as I think of it....

The Hog kit comes with a 26" SPG hose. AG says in his videos 24". I've also seen "it depends" which makes sense except I don't have the gear on my back yet. Don't worry about it?

The Hog kit comes wit a 7' hose. I've read conflicting opinions of:

a) Rec style hoses for O/W rec diving is fine.
b) 5' hose is fine
c) Use 7' hose since that's what you'll use in tech / wreck / overhead ( one day for me perhaps... )

Once concern is I don't have a canister. I've seen AG's video suggesting put a dive knife where your canister would go to wrap your hose around. Do you flank the knife with triglides to keep it from moving around?

Another (local tech) diver I spoke to suggested replacing the 7' with a 5' that he might have for me. Any thoughts here?

From what I've read, the primary long hose reg has a boltsnap on it as is clipped to the right d-ring when not used. I assume the bungied secondary reg does not? Where do you put it when the BP/W is not in use? Do you just drape it over the tank valve or something?

Last edited:
24'' is usually best for most people, but 26 will probably suffice for now, esp with a single tank.

I suggest a 7ft hose and just tuck it into the waist strap. It works just fine. There is a boltsnap on the long hose by the 2nd stage and it gets clipped off to the righ chest dring when not in use. The bungied reg doesn't need a clip since it has a bungee. Draping it over the tank valve works nicely.

It WILL take quite a bit of fiddling to get it adjusted just right, but its worth the effort.

Congrats to your purchase. A hog setup works very well in rec diving. I am using one for strictly rec diving without any issues.

I'd go with the 7ft hose and use a knife sheath or small pocket/weight pocket on the right side of the harness. Prevent it from sliding (if necessary) with a triglide or a second harness buckle/weight belt buckle. Works very well.

I'm transitioning my kit to strictly HOG, and my son will be diving HOG from now on. We are aiming for cavern and cave intently, so it makes sense for us. For the time being, we are trying to dive HOG recreationally to get ready for our cavern course. So it can be done. I think it should be done. If people transition to a Hog or DIR setup sooner before they start taking Tech courses, they will adapt easier. I'm not saying dive doubles before you are able, but adjust your rig to reflect your shift in ability and needs. We are undertaking drills which make me feel safer about both my ability, and that of my 14 year old son. Because of these cavern and cave drills, I am far more certain of his abilities, and confident. I worry less knowing that he will be able to handle any crisis and that he will not panic and be comfortable in doing so. Straight out of his recreational Open water course, i worried...a lot, even having seen his abilities. But tech drills are far more comprehensive, and in my mind, safer.

Weighting is another can of worms for me since I don't know how much I need.

I've ordered two pockets for my cam straps and two pockets for my waist belt. Some triglides also.

Will this get crowded with the SPG and or buckle or otherwise cause problems?

Weighting will take some fiddling, as well. Read up on the concept of a 'balanced rig', it will help you. As for pockets, the answer is 'maybe'.

Having had lots of talks with AG and Jeff S, they are very open minded when it comes to equipment (refreshing I know). If it works and it's well thought out, go with it (spg hose length). Weighting is very important when it comes to our dives. Analise your gear, how much weight does it take to sink it (exposure suit), how negative is my gear (bp/w, regs, etc). From that see how pos/neg you are. See how pos/neg your tanks are full/empty. So on a dive ensure you are negative enough to cover the use of your gas while keeping you neutral (to make your stops at the end of the dive). After these calculations you will find that if you've distributed your weight around (backplate, weighted sta etc) the small pouches will have enough ditchable weight and not be clutter on your rig. Make sense?

Ok, in no particular order as I think of it....

The Hog kit comes with a 26" SPG hose. AG says in his videos 24". I've also seen "it depends" which makes sense except I don't have the gear on my back yet. Don't worry about it?

Just wait until you get it. If the hose has a big bow in it when it is clipped off, it is too long. If it is fairly straight and stays trim against your body, it is the right length. There is no "magic" length, and once you have it on you can "see" if it is correct.

The Hog kit comes wit a 7' hose. I've read conflicting opinions of:

a) Rec style hoses for O/W rec diving is fine.
b) 5' hose is fine
c) Use 7' hose since that's what you'll use in tech / wreck / overhead ( one day for me perhaps... )

Once concern is I don't have a canister. I've seen AG's video suggesting put a dive knife where your canister would go to wrap your hose around. Do you flank the knife with triglides to keep it from moving around?

I like the idea of a longhose even for rec diving, so I think option "a" is least desirable. There are plenty of places (like boat dives) where you may have to swim side-by-side for a while to get back to a downline or bouy line to ascend on. Direct and immediate ascent to the surface is not always the best option after an OOG in the ocean. I would go with the 7' hose, but that is just my preference because I find the 5' hose a really awkward length to wear. YMMV.
When I am diving without my canister light, I have a 8" long piece of 1.5" PVC pipe that I wear where the canister would go to tuck the hose behind. I have seen people use knife sheaths, storage pouches, and spare mask holders to tuck the hose under.

From what I've read, the primary long hose reg has a boltsnap on it as is clipped to the right d-ring when not used. I assume the bungied secondary reg does not? Where do you put it when the BP/W is not in use? Do you just drape it over the tank valve or something?

Sometimes I hang it over the reg or tank valve. But the 22'" hose I have mine on is not long enough that the 2nd stage touches the ground even if it is just dangling off the 1st stage. (although I admit hanging it on the tank valve is a better idea)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom