Hog Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they are not labeled and it depends on who supplied them. The webbing has different pick densities which determines the stiffness of the webbing. MAKE SURE your crotch strap is not stiff though otherwise it will destroy you and your exposure protection. Stuff is pretty abrasive. Best option is to go to a good dive shop and feel some of the webbing they have, find what you like and buy it. Make the harness yourself, no sense in paying mark up for a premade one if you're going one piece. Stiffer is not always better though, there's a nice happy balance, too stiff and it won't weave properly so you'll never get it woven into the waist strap and bent through the plate properly. Most of the big manufacturers use the same webbing, so it's not too hard to find the fairly stiff stuff.

If the stiffer the better for you, I will recommend 2" webbing from PiranhnaDiveMfg. It is the stiffest I have used amougst DiveRite, DRIS, DiveGearExpress, Halcyon, Piranhna. DiveRite being the softest sloppest (to avoid)) webbing to the stiffest Piranhna. My favorite is Halcyon's, but DGX's is not bad at all.

To me it depends where I am diving as to how stiff I prefer the webbing. My doubles plate has stiff webbing and it definitely makes it easier for donning. On the other hand my singles plate has softer webbing that is far more comfortable when the water is really warm and the webbing is against my bare skin, or when diving a 4mm wetsuit.

First webbing i had was, i believe, OMS. It was super stiff. To the point of being uncomfortable. Also meant it restricted my movement, particularly of reaching across my chest, and was near impossible to adjust. One harness has bulk webbing from LDS, other has webbing from DGX. little difference between these and the Halcyon harness i felt.

Too stiff isnt a good thing either...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom