Hog just makes sense to me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are so many ways in which the setup just plain works. The infinite adjustability of the harness allows a real fit, and it's always the same fit, as opposed to straps you have to reef on. The backplate holds the tank securely in the middle of your back, and it doesn't move. The crotch strap holds the wing down on your body and adds security and stability to the rig. It's easy to stow backup lights where they are readily accessible. The front of your body stays clean and uncluttered, and it's very comfortable that way.

You've already adopted what for me is the biggest piece of the puzzle, which is the "donate the primary, bungied backup" hose setup. Surprisingly, the long hose gives you a much cleaner profile, because it wraps around you and leaves you without any big loops of hose. The bungied backup makes so much sense, because it is always exactly where you think it is, and it's easy to pick up in an emergency (like when you fall off a dive boat).

Pockets on the exposure protection are much easier to access than pockets on a BC, and hold more, too.

Essentially every student we have ever put into our equipment has switched. My favorite saying is, "We use the gear we use, because it WORKS."

You do not have to have a hogarthian config to make it simple and non clutered. No need for switching to BP/W. There are some BCs that are simple and non clutered. If I was diving tropics all the time in a wet suit to recreational depth I would not use BP/W but get a simple backinflate instead.

Yes but if the choice is between upgrading his BC or go plate and wing why not go plate and wing? BCD will tie you into 1 configuration again while a plate and wing can be re-configured to whatever you require without having to make major purchases again. Add into it if he goes steel plate and V-weight his trim will almost definitely improve it's a complete no brainer.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2013 at 01:44 PM ----------

I've been using a Zeagle Express Tech, which fits this description. Some say it's a back-inflate, while others call it a soft backplate and wing. It suits me just fine for the tropical travel diving I do, but my next move is to a true (rigid) backplate and wing because GUE says that's what I need to take Fundamentals. Whatever.

Well that's a poor reason to get a BP and wing if I've ever heard one.

I dive back plate in wing because it makes sense and I like the configurability of it NOT because someone else tells me I have to.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Yes but if the choice is between upgrading his BC or go plate and wing why not go plate and wing? BCD will tie you into 1 configuration again while a plate and wing can be re-configured to whatever you require without having to make major purchases again. Add into it if he goes steel plate and V-weight his trim will almost definitely improve it's a complete no brainer.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2013 at 01:44 PM ----------

Well that's a poor reason to get a BP and wing if I've ever heard one.

I dive back plate in wing because it makes sense and I like the configurability of it NOT because someone else tells me I have to.

I don't think it's a poor reason. Not much different than PADI telling divers they have to buy a snorkel to do OW, well OK, very different price wise :)

I went ahead and ordered the HOG bp/w with ss backplate. I don't really use the air integration on my computer so I might get an spg and use my Zoop instead of Cobra.

Just got it in. Ill be in the water on Monday getting it adjusted. I got the xs scuba weight pouches with Velcro front when diving my 7mm suit. It requires significant weight so I wanted something ditchable. I think these will be easy enough to ditch. Or I can put them on my cam straps when I just need a few lbs and will be able to swim it up.

20130517_133313_zps216c82e0.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom