Hog Reg Repair Dates Locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that cover regs and tanks? Interesting......

The reason I ask is....

With TDI, in order to take that class you have to have:
- A regulator repair clinic certificate from a manufacturer
- Have Visual Tank Inspection certification
--Reason being that O2 Cleaning is pointless to know how to do if you can't VIZ your own tanks or rebuild your own regs. I didn't know NAUI offered it without the other 2 as pre-reqs. As you can tell I don't know much about NAUI, so I figured I would ask :wink:

It didn't cover regs (at all). Right now I have a few guys for that, but would like to do it myself (obviously).

For the cylinders, it did cover how to VIP them; it just didn't certify us to put stickers on them when done (silly, really). I need the card. :)

Does that cover regs and tanks? Interesting......

The reason I ask is....

With TDI, in order to take that class you have to have:
- A regulator repair clinic certificate from a manufacturer
- Have Visual Tank Inspection certification
--Reason being that O2 Cleaning is pointless to know how to do if you can't VIZ your own tanks or rebuild your own regs. I didn't know NAUI offered it without the other 2 as pre-reqs. As you can tell I don't know much about NAUI, so I figured I would ask :wink:

We officially have a booth at the Long Beach Scuba Show :D

If you guys want us to put on a class, I need at least 6 bodies or the costs will have to be spread amongst the students.....or we would have to cancel the class. The room is $120/hour not to mention travel expenses. If I can get 6, we should be good to go.

The NAUI O2 Tech and Gas Blending course is primarily gas blending, but also covers procedures, methods, materials, etc., for O2 cleaning. Certifying a person as a reg tech is the handled by the manufacturer, this course then adds the O2 cleaning component.

Thanks Jeff, I had just assumed it had pre-reqs like the TDI equivalent and was curious. What is the point of someone taking O2 tech if they aren't certified to VIP their own tanks or pull apart a reg? TDI pre-req for O2 Service is you have to have VIP and a Reg repair cert from a manufacturer. That is what threw me when he has the class, but can't use it. I didn't know if the class was specific for regs or tanks or just a brief overview of O2 cleaning. Thanks for helping clarify a bit :)

Due to the internet, some of this stuff becomes a little desensitized. O2 cleaning procedures is not one of those things that should be. Bad procedures or skipping/missing a step will get someone killed eventually. We had a recent "experience" that could have been catastrophic by someone who O2 cleaned their tank and didn't rinse the tank long enough (media and dirt still in tank, valve never O2 cleaned). When my guys are the ones filling, safety is the utmost importance, and we take it serious :wink: This also transfers to our Instructors. Some may not like the thouroughness, but that is what your paying us for. A real class, not just a card.

You will also need to collect tools and read thru the Regulator Savvy book before the class starts.

I can not make any of the currently posted classes but wanted to know exactly what type of tools are needed.

Here you go.

TDI Hog Equipment Service Technician Course
Course Information
Required Tools List
Page 1 TDI Hog Class Info & Tools 2011 06
Pre-requisites
In order to enroll in the TDI Edge/HOG Equipment Service technician course, you must:
 be at least 18 years old, hold a nitrox diver certification and hold a technical diver certification, or;
 be at least 18 years old and be employed by a dive shop as a service technician.
If you have any questions about these requirements, please talk to the instructor before you sign up for the class.
Before Class
It is critical that you read and have a solid understanding of “Scuba Regulator Savvy” by Peter Wolfinger prior to class. The information in this book is critical to understanding and servicing regulators and forms the foundation upon which we will build during the class. Studying is going to take some time: the book is nearly 200 pages long and is densely packed with important information. If you don’t spend the time needed to read and understand the material in the book, you will be cheating yourself and will cause the entire class to get bogged down.
Review the Required Tools list and purchase any items that you don’t already own. Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with any new acquisitions before the class.
Purchase at least one HOG D1 regulator set. Although much of what you will learn in the class will help you service the other regulators in the Hog and Edge line, including the D2 and the Epic, the D1 is the only regulator that we will be working on during the course. If you have any questions about this, please talk to the instructor before you sign up for the class.
The Day of Class
Please arrive on time. Please call if you are running late so the entire class can prepare a suitable welcome for you while we’re delayed. 
Bring the following items:
 A complete HOG D1 regulator set, including 1st stage, at least one 2nd stage, an SPG and appropriate hoses.
 Copies of your nitrox and technical diver certification cards.
 All of the tools on the Required Tools list.
 A completed copy of the TDI General Liability and Express Assumption of Risk form.
 A completed copy of the TDI Medical Statement form. If you answer “No” to all the questions on the first page, the rest of the form does not need to be completed.
Lunch will be served – usually cold pizza and warm soda. You’re responsible for any special needs, including snacks.
Graduation Requirements
You will have successfully completed the course when you are able to clearly demonstrate to the satisfaction of the instructor that you have the ability to independently troubleshoot and service HOG regulators.
Additionally, to successfully complete the course you must:
 Pass the final exam.
 Complete a dive with the HOG equipment that you have serviced and submit a copy of your log for that dive to the instructor. Strongly recommended: jump in a pool, not 150’ of open water.
 Register for the ScubaBoard HOG Repair Station forum at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hog-repair-station
TDI Hog Equipment Service Technician Course
Course Information
Required Tools List
Page 2 TDI Hog Class Info & Tools 2011 06
Required Tools
Many of the following items are available from ScubaTools.com. Where you purchase them is up to you but I’ve found ScubaTools to be good and convenient, if pricey.
Prices and availability are subject to change without notice, if you’re having a hard time acquiring anything on this list, let me know.
ScubaTools.com
 Scuba Regulator Savvy by Peter Wolfinger .............................................. SKU 30-100-100
 First Stage Handle ....................................................................................... SKU 20-115-100
 Dual Drive Inline Adjusting Tool .................................................................. SKU 20-500-200
 Christo-Lube (Tribolube or Krytox are acceptable substitutes) ................... SKU 15-710-111
 O-ring Pick Set, Soft Brass .......................................................................... SKU 10-102-100
 O-ring Pick Set, 5 Pieces ............................................................................. SKU 10-125-400
 3/8” Drive Dial Torque Wrench .................................................................... SKU 79-600-700
Local hardware store or Amazon.com
 Hook Pin Spanner. Recommended: The Armstrong 34-351 works well – needs to be 1.5” (or adjustable) with a small (1/8&#8221:wink: pin.
 6” Adjustable wrenches – you’ll need two. Recommended: the Hakuma Tools HT150B 6” Adjustable Bent Nose Thin Wrench are perfect but hard to find. El Cheapos will usually work, especially if you grind them down so that they are no more than ¼” thick. Purists may prefer open face wrenches, however you will need a number of them in a variety of sizes.
 Lighted Magnifier. Recommended: the Tensor Clamp on Magnifier Light Lamp with Outlet. A headlamp with magnifiers works great but a lighted reading magnifier or lighted loupe will work.
 Metric Long Hex Bit Sockets (for torque wrench)
 Metric Hex Key set (including a 7mm key)
 Imperial Hex Key set
Dive Right In Scuba
 HOG D1 1st and 2nd stage regulators with hose, LPI hose, HP hose and SPG.
 Service kits for your first and second stage Hog regulators. You can buy these during the class – most people buy a few extras to take home with them – but remember to bring your credit card.
Not required for the class but recommended for anyone serious about regulator repairs:
 Ultrasonic Cleaner. Empty peanut butter jars and a toothbrush can usually get the job done but if you’re serious about cleaning regulators, this is the way to go. Besides, your wife will think you’re a hero and love you long time when you volunteer to clean all her jewelry…

Back
Top Bottom