HOG Replacement bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akrizan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased a second hand HOG Doubles Wing (#58) for my helitrox class. At the time it held air, no apparent issues inside or out.

Around pool session #3 I start to lose buoyancy while surfaced, even after filling the wing. My buddy said I had bubbles coming out and after tearing down the wing on the deck I found a hole in the weld along along the perimeter.

Called HOG and they said it was discontinued and they didn't know of any manufacturers making similar bladders. Am I out of luck or is there a replacement I can put in to keep diving the wing. Thanks.

Well that does doesn't sound good. Did they offer you any other solution? I wonder if the outcome would have been different if you were the original purchaser.

I noticed that Cave Adventurers lists that wing. I would give them a call and ask for their suggestion. Because the bladder has a hole in the seam I would not recommend trying to seal it with Aquaseal or trying to patch it. A puncture is one thing, but if the welds are coming apart I would not risk it, especially for technical diving. It may just spring a leak somewhere else.

Bladders are usually oversized. If you can find a wing that is the same size, shape, and inflator and dump positions you may be able to replace the bladder with something else.

Another option is to PM @cerich, he used to run HOG and may know where you can purchase a replacement bladder.

No solution, just awkward silence after asking if they knew of anyone using a similar bladder. I would have patched it for sure if it was on the body of the wing but looking at it again the layers are also delaminating around the failed weld so I wouldn't really trust a repair.

Thanks for the tips @ams511 , I'll reach out to them.

Well that does doesn't sound good. Did they offer you any other solution? I wonder if the outcome would have been different if you were the original purchaser.
I had a dump valve spring rust and fail, after trying to find a replacement, which couldn't be done (they changed their design a few times and mine also no longer exists either) they could only suggest buying a new wing.

Found this thread looking for a replacement bladder, but seems like might just need get a new wing.

My Hog Wing started to leak too after couple years of use...I changed wings...I need to see if it is the seam or just a hole ....

Perhaps an OMS performance doubles 45lb or 60lb bladder will work. @ $70.00.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom