Hog Service Class "tech" Prereq And Fl Locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ImmaHyrdalisk

Registered
Reaction score
Just purchased two sets of hog regs, and while my service date is a while away I'd like to get my Hog service certification before then and/or work on my prerequisites.

So my question is what exactly does the "tech" requirement mean, does a TDI Nitrox cert qualify or is advanced or deco procedures required? If TDI nitrox is accepted, is PADI as well?

Also, does anyone know some good Florida locations where the class is offered? All dealers in this area seem to be repair only at pretty crazy pricing.

Thanks

A tech cert would be Adv Nitrox/Deco procedures or Basic Cave and higher.

There are some instructors that will still teach the course if you don't have a tech cert, but they will not issue you a card without getting the tech cert first.

We run these classes in High Springs/Lake City and surrounding about once/quarter. If there is enough demand (>=5), I'd set one up on the fly. Heck, we will even go to other parts of Florida. I usually post these on the forums but most of the activity is on the Cave Divers Forum. If you look there, you will see lots of excellent feedback. There is also info on the Mann Overboard Facebook page about our classes.
Steve

Mann Overboard
www.mannoverboard.net
Mann Overboard

There are some instructors that will still teach the course if you don't have a tech cert, but they will not issue you a card without getting the tech cert first.

......and since you're only certified to work on your own regs, and anyone can buy the kits, all you need is the course.

Taking one of Steve's courses has been on my to-do list. Soon. Soon.

TDI Nitrox qualifies, PADI Nitrox does not.
Any overhead course is considered as meeting the requirements.
So yes, cavern, ice, intro to cave, intro to tech etc. are acceptable.
I teach the classes on demand and do private courses all the time. However I am not in Florida but I may be coming to South Carolina to teach one in the fall (Sept - Nov not sure of exact date yet).
Usually I need two to three weeks notice to set aside a weekend to do the class since it does take a day and a half to cover all the 1sts, the seconds, and the ancillary items that are included such as inflators, dump valves, light care, etc.

Just an FYI we are looking at modifying the standards to possibly open the course to more divers. Myself and other HOG instructors are working with Jack at HOG. No time frame set but stay tuned.

For what is would cost to have my 4 sets of HOG regs serviced , I could justify a trip to Florida for some Blue Heron Bridge diving and a weekend class. Not sure about the schedule, but definitely interested.

Jay

I don't necessarily think that modifying standards needs to be done, but it needs to be more accessible. There's no reason that it couldn't be modules in a webinar. I don't have anything else made by Hog except first and second stages, I have no desire to spend money to learn how to service a Hog wing or inflator or dump valve. It's a waste of my time and money.

For many people, traveling for a simple maintenance course where they won't use 75% of the material just doesn't make any kind of fiscal sense, especially when they would be spending it on diving instead. Add to the cost the list of specialized (unnecessary) tools and it quickly becomes very unattractive.

Put the reg course online, require proof of tech level training, charge for it, have a waiver. You want to sell people on this idea they can service their own stuff, do a better job of teaching people the knowledge and skills required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom