Hog Service Class "tech" Prereq And Fl Locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim,
"TDI Nitrox qualifies, PADI Nitrox does not.
Any overhead course is considered as meeting the requirements."
is that agency specific or not?
So Is PADI ice diver or PADI wreck course qualifies?
what about intro to tech?

I don't necessarily think that modifying standards needs to be done, but it needs to be more accessible. There's no reason that it couldn't be modules in a webinar. I don't have anything else made by Hog except first and second stages, I have no desire to spend money to learn how to service a Hog wing or inflator or dump valve. It's a waste of my time and money.

For many people, traveling for a simple maintenance course where they won't use 75% of the material just doesn't make any kind of fiscal sense, especially when they would be spending it on diving instead. Add to the cost the list of specialized (unnecessary) tools and it quickly becomes very unattractive.

Put the reg course online, require proof of tech level training, charge for it, have a waiver. You want to sell people on this idea they can service their own stuff, do a better job of teaching people the knowledge and skills required.

Having the course on line is not the same as having an instructor in the room to check the students work, answer questions, and offer those little tips and tricks that experienced techs develop to help the student. The on line course is not going to answer questions. If you don't want the other stuff tell the instructor. The course was supposed to cover all the regs and the extra items. Instructors can modify the course to some degree to suit the student.

When I teach the class an entire day is spent on the regs. The ancillary items are covered in a couple hours on day two along with issuing the exam. Since this is a TDI course modifying it does require a change in standards. This is not a HOG course by the mfg. It is taught by independent TDI instructors. Having it on line and requiring a tech level cert is going to be a pain to verify as who is going to contact the agencies that do not list certs on line to verify the cert is legit? That would require a separate dept to do that.

As to the tools, have you even looked at the list? The specialized tools are an IP gauge, in line tool, and pin spanners. Why are the Scubatools spanners specified? Because we are seeing too many screwed up bodies by people using adjustables. Torque wrench? Again ham handed or not enough torque on critical points because someone is too cheap to buy a $40 torque wrench. The list suggests tool sources but they are not required to be sourced from those places other than the pin spanner. The in line tool from some places like DGX won't work. Have had three students had to send theirs back. The hex on the Scubatools version is more precise and is tapered where the others are square and not as well made.

There are also people who even with a tech cert should not be working on their own regs. The face to face helps to ID them and at times show them they should not be doing it. I have those who took the course that are very glad they did and in an emergency would be able to work on their regs. But they send them to me after they see just what is involved. They'd rather that I do them since they would only do them once a year, if that. I do them on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Jim,
"TDI Nitrox qualifies, PADI Nitrox does not.
Any overhead course is considered as meeting the requirements."
is that agency specific or not?
So Is PADI ice diver or PADI wreck course qualifies?
what about intro to tech?
PADI Ice would qualify. PADI Wreck? No. That is not an overhead course. The overhead course is not agency specific. Intro to Tech is good as well as it is a tech cert.

Thanx Jim.
Also I agree that in person is much better than virtual presence. I do have to take a lot of corse that way and I hate it. It's not the same as interacting with an instructor

I may have to take a trip down to Key Largo and harass Pete about regulators it is looking like no mater what I do I am either driving 12 hours or getting on a plane to take the regulator class. at least Key Largo would be warm diving and I got a kick out of diving with Pete and Elena in Curacao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom