HOG Service Kit price bump, more than 50% more expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElGaucho

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What happened that the D1 1st stage service kit is now 34.99 when it used to be (a few weeks ago) 19.99?

This is a VERY high increase in price (and the pricing on service kits was recently a deciding factor to change over some regs I had from DiveRite to HOG).

I would like to know from Edge Gear what´s the story behind this dramatic price increase.

As a side note, the second stage has also increased in price, but not as violently.

the price has been inching up from my supplier the last few years but we held the price, we bought a metric ton of kits in early spring and ran out in late June, the new kits we bought were a higher price than the spring buy and to be honest we couldn't eat it any longer. So we did a price increase. It isn't something we wanted to do but had to.

hmmm, awap never misses a chance to try and make something normal appear somehow wrong.

In point of fact my cost is well above that.

To compare what we are charging and others are charging I compared our prices to other brands, we are less expensive than all the others I found, that is comparing our kit with Viton orings to their non viton oring kits.

I am sorry that some believe that we should just be giving away stuff, we don't and won't. We are and remain the best value in the industry, including on service kit prices

$35? it doesn't cost that much for my shop to service regs. So much for changing over to "service yourself" gear.

that price was in fact in our latest price list as the MAP, it was a little high because the MAP is a formula, and orginally we were going to be upping the price even more... the prices went that high on us.

However the MAP should have been under $30

I apoligize for that mistake
$35? it doesn't cost that much for my shop to service regs. So much for changing over to "service yourself" gear.

I believe Edge has it's right to make a substantial profit from parts. It's just part of the business. Regs can last upwards of 10 years, the business plan must include a way to keep making a profit or no more company. The price is competitive with other brands. I was just wondering why the leap increase in price. It would also be nice if you could provide some bulk parts (seats, diaphragms for example) for people like myself who right now have upwards of 8 1st stages and more than 12 2nd stages. Cheers.

I believe Edge has it's right to make a substantial profit from parts. It's just part of the business. Regs can last upwards of 10 years, the business plan must include a way to keep making a profit or no more company. The price is competitive with other brands. I was just wondering why the leap increase in price. It would also be nice if you could provide some bulk parts (seats, diaphragms for example) for people like myself who right now have upwards of 8 1st stages and more than 12 2nd stages. Cheers.

Agreed, O-Rings are standard sizes and can be bought for pennies (even the viton ones). It would be great if we could buy bulk seats and diaphragms. Seems a lot for for a zip tie and some o-rings... dunno about that one...

actually I just had a conversation about 2 mins ago with one on my largest HOG dealers concerning this thread, when I told him my cost and the margin he was shocked the price was as high as it is and the margin as low as it is... I need to make money, no mistake but it isn't a substantial one I'm afraid...

The reason I don't sell just the unique parts like a HP seat,filter or diaphragm alone is that I saw FAR to many instances where a consumer would bring their gear for service and get a new HP seat, filter and that's all. But got charged for what they should have gotten in a annual service. by making the kit be everything needed to service the reg, the incentive to rip people off disappears.

---------- Post Merged at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:18 AM ----------

just the HP seat alone cost us more than awap seems to feel we should be paying for the entire kit.

I can source the viton orings and buy in bulk and pack over here and save maybe 10% of the cost of the kit in materials, however it will add 30% to the cost via labor by the time I sort and individually pack each kit.

Agreed, O-Rings are standard sizes and can be bought for pennies (even the viton ones). It would be great if we could buy bulk seats and diaphragms. Seems a lot for for a zip tie and some o-rings... dunno about that one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom