Hog Service Kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes and no. The filters in the 2 and 3 are the same. The D1 is different. The 2 and 3 do not have all the o rings the D1 requires. Basically the HP seats are the same as are the diaphragms and diaphragm washers in the D1 and D2. The D3 uses a smaller diaphragm and washer. The balance chamber o ring is the same. Port plug o rings yes. It's the rest of the kit where the differences are. Best to use the right kit for the reg. When people start trying to mix them is when we see problems. And why would anyone want to buy the more expensive kit when it's not needed in the D1 and D2? As an instructor for the course I would never recommend one try to use a kit for a reg it's not designed for.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2014 at 12:00 PM ----------

Need to issue a correction on the D3. Just talked to Jack at HOG and because I have not tried to mix kits, which you should not anyway, the diaphragms and diaphragm washers for the D1 and D2 are the same. The D3 is actually smaller than both of them and therefore cannot be used. I wanted to get that out there ASAP and will be adding a note in the D3 service procedures and passing that on to Jack so it can be distributed to instructors for the course.

Sorry for any confusion. What it comes down to is as what I said earlier. Use the kit made for the reg you are using.

This is what I was trying to confirm. Apparently my understanding of the compatibility was incorrect (thought I had read that somewhere in another thread).

thanx

so...the D3's fancy new replaceable seat makes it more vulnerable (as opposed to more repairable) and there's a new one coming out? just a few months after I jumped on the D3 bandwagon(because of the replaceable seat)? shoot. I should've just got D1s and saved some $$$
:facepalm:

The D3 still performs better than the D1 even with a fixed orifice and its smaller and more usable form factor will still make it the better choice. In the hands of a trained technician using the right service procedures, proper lubrication, and technique the removable orifice is fine, but we have found that a little error in its installation can create significant issues later. For this reason, and since there is no noticeable performance loss, we have decided to go back to the simpler and more service tolerant fixed orifice design. For those worried about getting the removable orifice in the future, if and when we no longer offer the removable orifice we will offer a body upgrade at a comparable cost for a reasonable amount of time. The removable hard orifice is a schedule B part and again if serviced properly and cared for properly it should never need to be replaced, if it is not then if and when it needs to be replaced should we not have them then the main body can be replaced to a fixed orifice design with all other parts working fine with the new body piece.

Thanks for the explanation. I am glad that my D3s work better than the D1, but still a little uncomfortable with hearing that the removable orifice makes it more vulnerable. I am sure a tech would do a good job, but a big part of the reason i chose hogs was that I had wanted to learn to service my own regs after I take the hog reg service class. I will stand by. I have some eight months before my first annual service comes up. Maybe then I'll look into whether there's an option for a body upgrade as you described.

In the mean time - when will this new generation D3 become available? Did you show it at DEMA? I just bought a new zenith for a deco bottle I haven't bought yet, and hoped to get a D3 for the set in January. If there's a *new* D3 coming soon, I'd rather wait and get the latest with the fixed orifice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom