Hog Side Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Bailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alright, you guys spilled the beans on FB. When can we expect to see plans for the Hog side mount unit?

The plans? You gonna build them for us? :)

The SM rig is in multi prototype's being tested. When I am 100% happy they will ship...

Is it possible to be 100% happy with an SM rig? Seems like there's still a lot of tinkering and evolution going on from all parties.

That said, I know Trey is chomping at the bit for me to switch to sidemount so if you ever needed a test subject....

Is it possible to be 100% happy with an SM rig? Seems like there's still a lot of tinkering and evolution going on from all parties.
that's kinda my point, everybody is chasing the latest idea and you can barley have a "out of the box" optimized SM rig that people aren't modding to get to work well. That's fine if you like that stuff but there are $700 SM rigs on the market that take 3 hours and a seamstress to be really nice...and people don't really like doing that with a new BCD.

We are shooting for a turn key solution for tech diving that is light enough to travel, tough enough to hold up and strikes the balance between the amount of lift for steel SM bottles and alum stages (as many as you like). Of course we will be keeping "quality and value" in mind like we always do

Last edited:
It was on my back in Jackson Blue on Saturday... :)

C'mon, Chris... let's get this project back on track! :)

I still on the quest for the perfect single/double wings that works perfect for both and I think in the sidemount world the same holds true for the perfect Aluminum and Steel tank wings. It might be better giving the users a choice between a perfect steel wing and a perfect lighter aluminum wing and let them decided which one is best for the diving they are doing. Then put some research into a harness that the wings can be EASILY switch between the wings so the same harness can be used for single tank rec dive in warm waters or heavy drysuit diving in the northern cold waters. Most sidemount divers that I know have two completely different rigs they use going between warm and cold water diving, it would be nice to have one rig that would do both well not one rig that does both just OK. Just My Thoughts!

It might be better giving the users a choice between a perfect steel wing and a perfect lighter aluminum wing and let them decided which one is best for the diving they are doing.

I agree. Jack of all trades means master of none. A modular switch-out system, utilizing a core harness design, with different wings and choices of ancillaries would be optimal IMHO.

One of those options would need to be redundant buoyancy - to reflect the increasing market for sidemount use in technical diving training. PADI demands redundant BCD buoyancy (if drysuit not used), beyond Tec40 level - and that represents quite a large market share (and potentially huge future one). The only sidemount BCDs currently offering redundancy are large cold-water designs... and the Stealth, which has a (IMHO) less than optimal oral inflate tube option.

Sidemount is an area that is shouting-out for some genuine 'blue skies thinking'... especially in regards to minimizing bulk and retaining simplicity whilst providing a full spectrum of capabilities.

LPI/Corrugated Hose designs should be re-visited, as these are a primary barrier to accomplishing diverse aims (redundancy versus bulk)... it isn't enough to just screw on an 'off-the-shelf' right-angle bend and thick corrugated tube... especially two of them.... something novel and ground-breaking would make a real difference.

It was on my back in Jackson Blue on Saturday... :)

Yea... I heard about that... again and again from your dive buddies. Bastards. I think they were giving me the gears... HOW ABOUT THE d3s THEN? Surely you can get your old mate a couple of them to try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom