HOG Total Buoyancy Control System BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody diving the HOG TBCS softpac bcd with 32# wing, and wishing you had purchased the aluminum plate and STA package instead? If you are diving the HOG softpac, does the single tank flop left/right without a STA when you roll your body left/right? Any pros and cons of the softpac vs the plate would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

I dive the HOG TBC with a soft plate with the 23lb wing. I use upper cam band trim weights and there is some minor roll. I would not label it as a flop. I find the soft plate very comfortable to dive and lighter weigh for travel. I have not dived a hard plate an am not able to offer a comparison.

@Blues Runner. Thank you for the info. I ordered the 32# wing with a STA, on the recommendation of the folks at DRIS, so am hoping that reduces it movement to the least possible. I have not used a hard plate either, but I imagine the STA would be on a firmer base with the AL plate, but I do not want to deal with the extra weight when traveling.

An sta will most likely make problems worse with a softplate because it would give the tank more leverage to move. A buddy of mine uses the softplate (i use hog with hard plates) and he had a complaint about it flopping around as you describe. After looking at it, i noticed his bands were only through the wing. When i put the cam bands through the softplate as well, he said it felt fine (without an sta).
On the flip side, of you do get an aluminum plate, you’ll like everything about it except that it wont roll up for travel.
But the wing itself is nicely designed to support a tank without needing an sta

I have not used this particular rig but have extensively used the OxyCheq soft plate. The Oxy is, and as I recall stated so, intended for aluminum tanks in a warm water configuration. It works great with aluminum 63/80 cf tanks. With negative steel tanks the flop from side to side is noticeable, with an aluminum 63/80 it is fine. If you put trim weights on the cam bands then shove them down tight to the plate so that they can act as a chock to help steady the tank. Everything is a compromise, for a very light and comfortable travel rig a soft plate is hard to beat, when used as intended. N

I have the 32# wing and soft plate and don’t notice a tank flop without an STA. My tank bands go through the wing as well as the plate backing. A must I think.
Even when I have minimal air in the wing, the tank is steady.
Only thing I don’t like is it weighs about 9 lbs. I just bought another bp/w set up for travel.

I ordered the 32# wing and soft plate with a STA, but will have to see how stable my HP 80 steel tank is on the soft plate. After discussing my concerns on tank stability, the DRIS folks recommended a STA, but like @Bowers, I am having a hard time conceptualizing how the tank/STA keeps the tank from rolling side to side when the stay is attached to a soft plate with the cam bands just going through the STA. Like @Nemrod, I will continue to wedge the trim pockets against the tank as I do with my Zeagle Covert. DRIS assured me it would be fine, but I will have to see for myself when it gets here. If it rolls with a STA, but does not without it, using the bands through the soft plate and wing per @GirlonFire, my next chore will be to decide if it is significantly more comfortable/tank stable than my Zeagle Covert to justify the extra weight. Although the stock Covert weighs @4 pounds, mine weighs closer to 6.5# with a "real" second cam band, two trim pockets, and two Zeagle pockets. DRIS also told me the HOG setup weighs < 8# with STA, so I am hoping they were accurate in that information as well. I will write a review when the bp/w gets here.Thanks again for all of your comments.

Funny, I had a Zeagle Covert before the TBCS.
For me, the HOG is way more comfortable but being heavier is the trade off.
I found the Covert wiggled more than the HOG and I ended up selling it.

@GirlonFire. Thank you for that input. I will likely do the same as you because while the Covert's tank wiggle was no big deal when diving reefs, it is annoying when doing volunteer diving at Spring Lake in San Marcos where I am constantly moving around, clearing invasive vegetation, and sweeping the algae and springs. All of those tasks all require changing directions and body positions. So the weight addition is not as critical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom