hog waistbelt configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbediving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
ok, finally started my hog harness. ive looked around and im having a little problem with my waistbelt buckle placement. i was using this as my reference http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/images/kit/Harness/top_complete.jpg he mentions using a plastic buckle and doesnt mention,or i missed, where he puts the main buckle and how it is oriented and threaded. i have everything else good to go but im missing something on this buckle and it doesnt look like the pictures.

idratherbediving:
ok, finally started my hog harness. ive looked around and im having a little problem with my waistbelt buckle placement. i was using this as my reference http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/images/kit/Harness/top_complete.jpg he mentions using a plastic buckle and doesnt mention,or i missed, where he puts the main buckle and how it is oriented and threaded. i have everything else good to go but im missing something on this buckle and it doesnt look like the pictures.

I think I know what's going on there; I do something very similar. The plastic buckle is used to keep the canister light or other right-side belted thing from sliding forward on the belt. I.e., when assembling at the dive site, put the canister on the belt, then put the plastic buckle on to keep it there.

I've seen the canonical-DIR folks go back and forth on this one. Some references support this approach, most seem to prefer having the buckle-side (left side) long enough so that the main buckle ends up way over on the right clamping the canister in place.

I prefer the plastic buckle approach* -- I believe it has several advantages: it keeps the canister in place even when the rig is not fully belted, it means you don't have to thread the buckle through the crotch strap loop.

*I've referred to this as the plastic buckle approach, but there's no reason you can't do it with a steel buckle, if you're a plastic-hater.

i dont have a canister light so that is not a problem for me. my concern is how the main buckle is worn. right or left side and threaded like a normal buckle or am i missing something?

idratherbediving:
i dont have a canister light so that is not a problem for me. my concern is how the main buckle is worn. right or left side and threaded like a normal buckle or am i missing something?

Main Buckle on the right side of crotch strap.... Then another metal buckle for Cannister light..

I had an old plastic uckle that I used the first time I used my Cannister.... it let go and the cann dropped :11: I almost had a heart attack... No damage but I only use metal buckles now

idratherbediving:
Right of the crotch strap (which isn't in your picture) but around your right hip bone or so. It is threaded just like a normal buckle (Thats because thats what it is :) )

Ben_ca:
I had an old plastic uckle that I used the first time I used my Cannister.... it let go and the cann dropped :11: I almost had a heart attack... No damage but I only use metal buckles now
I got a plastic one..it holds but is showing cracks..so its time to replace it. (and I will probably replace it with SS)

im sorry to be a pain here, but.. perhaps i am having a problem asking the right question and i appreciate all the help. the main buckle gets threaded on the right waist strap and should be long enough to stay on the right side of the crotch strap. then what happens to the excess waist strap? it would end up on the same side as the can/extra buckle. should i let it hang out there or should i secure it with something? or should it be cut so that there is not alot of extra.

idratherbediving:
im sorry to be a pain here, but.. perhaps i am having a problem asking the right question and i appreciate all the help. the main buckle gets threaded on the right waist strap and should be long enough to stay on the right side of the crotch strap. then what happens to the excess waist strap? it would end up on the same side as the can/extra buckle. should i let it hang out there or should i secure it with something? or should it be cut so that there is not alot of extra.
No...The buckle is threaded on the belt coming from left side. It should be adjusted so that when the right side belt is stuck through it, the buckle ends up on the right side (somewhere in between your right hip and belly button.

The excess belt should be held by a knife/scissors that resided on the left side of the crotch strap. (You usually have to put it on first before the buckle.)

I'll see if I can find a picture on the net.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom