HOG Zenith vs. Dive Rite XT2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mndiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

Apologies in advance if this isn't the correct forum;

I'm looking to replace my primary second stage, and I've basically narrowed it down to the HOG Zenith, or the Dive Rite XT2. They're very comparable price-wise, and I don't want the $30-40 difference to affect my decision. Does anyone have experience with either/both of these two and have a preference? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

They're both xtx50 clones... probably made from the same batch of parts from the same factory in the same southeast asain country.

Lamar is really good about supporting products until he isn't, hog I don't know anything about their customer support good or bad.

@blac86 they are not from the same factory in Taiwan. Both from Taiwan, but not the same company.

@Mndiv what is your currently primary/secondary second stage and your first stage?

I love my Zeniths. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I may give the edge to the one that can be serviced and supported locally.

I own Zeniths and XT2s and like them both. They're very similar in quality and build, but there are differences. There's pros and cons both ways, but you really can't go wrong.

I would go with HOG unless you are in a position that you want a left feed regulator, if that is the case the XT2 can be swapped and the HOG can not.

I have the DR XT regs. I like them just fine. I also like that I can (and have) order service kits for them from Dive Gear Express. I keep a service kit for the 1st and 2nd stages on hand so that if I ever have an issue I can get the regs serviced immediately without ever being forced to sit out while I wait on parts to be ordered and show up.

I don't know if regular schmoes can buy HOG parts or not, or if you have to be an authorized tech. If you CAN buy HOG service kits also, then I'd call them even. If not, then I'd go for the DR.

I don't know if regular schmoes can buy HOG parts or not, or if you have to be an authorized tech. If you CAN buy HOG service kits also, then I'd call them even. If not, then I'd go for the DR.

Regular schmoes CAN order Hog parts. There are even certs for Hog Reg Repair/Service Tech to teach you how to do the work. If I'm not mistaken, Hog was the first company to push for getting parts in the hands of divers. Many other companies have made it nearly impossible to get parts kits without being affiliated with a shop (eg: Hollis. I was a certified technician for Hollis and couldn't get parts without an affiliated Dealer).

I would go with HOG unless you are in a position that you want a left feed regulator, if that is the case the XT2 can be swapped and the HOG can not.
You can get a HOG Zenith in left or right configuration. Just ask for the reversible version. I have several.

IIRC, anyone can purchase HOG service kits. The information of what to do with the parts is the controlled aspect.... FWIW, I own both the Zenith and the RG3000-2 which i believe is the same other than it isn't reversible....

I might give a nod to the Zenith..... The DR is my deco reg, and i use the Zenith for some of my regular diving.... No real reason for it though.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom