Hogarthian & DIR RIg Esstentially One of the same

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie:
I think the issue with the Comfobite (as far as DIR is concerned) is NOT the possible gagging/choking hazard, but that it would be extremely difficult to insert a mouthpiece that wouldn't "flatten" out (on the teeth and stay under the lips) into the mouth of a toxing diver (who probably would have his/her teeth clenched) -at least this was how my instructor explained it... One could use the Comfobite on the backup, I guess.
Good grief! What an incredible leap of imagination. The comfobite is smaller and has less width in the bite-wing than a standard mouthpiece. If anything it would be easier to shove into the space between the lips and clenched teeth. Pole vaulting over mouse droppings while the elephants are marchin' by!
There may be some legitimacy to this objection w/r/t the Sea Cure, but not the comfobite.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Good grief! What an incredible leap of imagination. The comfobite is smaller and has less width in the bite-wing than a standard mouthpiece. If anything it would be easier to shove into the space between the lips and clenched teeth. Pole vaulting over mouse droppings while the elephants are marchin' by!
There may be some legitimacy to this objection w/r/t the Sea Cure, but not the comfobite.
Rick

The Sea Cures and others like are definitely not DIR.

As far as the comfobites are concerned the issue is a little less defined. While not totally "outlawed" there are some objections to their use. These objections center around discomfort and gagging as well as the inabilty to splay the mouthpiece out flat for use in a rescue. At least one instructor has suggested snapping off the bridge should the need arise... or just cutting the bridge out all together. Still, lots of DIR folks like and dive the comfobites.

Nobody really answered your question.
Yes the DIR and the hogarthian rigs are very close. They should be, the DIR rig is a direct desendant of the older Hogarthian, that designed is attributed to Bill "Hogarth" Main, who was (maybe still is) of the WKKP.
The differences are a lot like specifiactions for some computer things, think of the Hogarth rig as a little like the IBM/AT "standard" and the DIR as the latest PC. They are only fully compatable one way, the DIR rig being much more "refined" in it's specifications.

terrasmak:
So i will use what i want and if my teammate runs out of air well they can deal with it , its better than no air at all. Ill do the same if im the one to run out.
Nice team attitude. It's not necessarily better than no air at all. Having someone gag or choke because you are selfish is exactly what DIR tries to avoid. You care about your team, not just yourself. Every piece of gear is a team resource. Stuff like that is what differenciates DIR and just Hogarthian rigs. DIR is about diving. Hogarthian rigs are just about the equipment.

It'd be bad to have a backup mask that has prescription lenses in it too if at all possible. I find that one a little harder to deal with because it's hard to handicap yourself for the benefit of the team... as handicapping yourself would not benefit the team. But using a normal mouthpiece is not handicapping yourself.

Oh well, we're not in he DIR forum, so you are certainly entitled to your opinion here. I just decided to post this because this thread was on differences in DIR and hogarthian.

Just my $.02

Chris

Stephen Ash:
These objections center around discomfort and gagging
I'll never question anyone's claim of discomfort with any mouthpiece. But gagging? GMAB! The comfobite rides further forward in the mouth than any other; how in the world could anyone gag on one? To me that's a claim that's beyond belief.
I wonder how much of the objection is founded in anti-Aqualung marketing.
Rick

cmalinowski:
Nice team attitude. It's not necessarily better than no air at all. Having someone gag or choke because you are selfish is exactly what DIR tries to avoid. You care about your team, not just yourself. Every piece of gear is a team resource. Stuff like that is what differenciates DIR and just Hogarthian rigs. DIR is about diving. Hogarthian rigs are just about the equipment.
The mouthpiece that makes me gag is the one that splays and has the bite tabs on the inside at the back. So I call BS on the "team attitude" angle because its not the one-size-fits-all scenario its made out to be.

Please don't speak truth to a dive god that has a DIR-F(prov) rating and all of a hundred dives! If George Almighty ( or is that mity? ) says something we all must bow down and kiss his ----

Rick Murchison:
Rick

With all due respect, I wouldn't call it "an incredible leap of imagination," Rick. My instructor and I and a few DIR divers I have dived with all use Apeks so we are quite familiar with the Comfobite (and we find them quite comfortable). The reason the Comfobites are not use on the primary second stage, as Stephen explained, is that it is very difficult "to shove [the comfobite] into the space between the lips and clenched teeth" as it cannot splay and stay put (I used "flatten" in my previous attempt at an explanation - should have used my Thesaurus; you'll have to forgive me as English is my second language).

Anyway, I am sorry that you are not happy but I am just trying to explain why some divers choose not use the Comfobite - I don't think anyone is trying to force anybody not to use them...

StSomewhere:
The mouthpiece that makes me gag is the one that splays and has the bite tabs on the inside at the back. So I call BS on the "team attitude" angle because its not the one-size-fits-all scenario its made out to be.
It really had less to do with the actual moutpiece used and more to do with the comment about teammates having to "deal with it". That just seems like a cruddy attitude to have if one is actually trying to be on a team.

I agree that one size does not necessarily fit all. If everyone on the team was aware of the mouthpiece and agreed that it was fine, then I don't see the reason not to use it... except for what people were saying about a toxing diver, but I have not discussed that scenario yet. But just saying this is what I am using and the rest of you on my team have to deal with it is a crap attitude. Period.

Chris

CIBDiving:
Please don't speak truth to a dive god that has a DIR-F(prov) rating and all of a hundred dives! If George Almighty ( or is that mity? ) says something we all must bow down and kiss his ----
What did I say that was wrong?

Apparently, to you, my lack of 3000+ dives makes me unable to understand situations or teams or have the ability to learn. I don't think that a selfish teammate is a teammate at all. That was the point of my post. It doesn't take dives to understand that. It is somewhat subjective, but not all of us have the ability to add so much to the thread as you. I mean insinuating that I can't have valid points because I don't have as many dives as you really is usefull.

And, of course the GI bashing for good measure. That's useful. Never heard of that one before. Since I don't know the guy, I really can't comment though.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom