Hogarthian Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen, I dive warm open water. Therefore my requirements differ from yours. However going over your setup I have a few questions.

1. Your long hose looks like its on your secondary reg and is clipped on your D Ring??
2. Your SPG is on your left Hip. I see this in a lot of setups but it seems to be that this would be better clipped to your left D Ring if you are not carrying stages.
3. Where is the best place to clip a Secondary Reg?
4. Where is the best place to clip a SPG if you dont carry stages?

Thanks.

cebudiver:
Stephen, I dive warm open water. Therefore my requirements differ from yours. However going over your setup I have a few questions.

1. Your long hose looks like its on your secondary reg and is clipped on your D Ring??
2. Your SPG is on your left Hip. I see this in a lot of setups but it seems to be that this would be better clipped to your left D Ring if you are not carrying stages.
3. Where is the best place to clip a Secondary Reg?
4. Where is the best place to clip a SPG if you dont carry stages?

Thanks.

I dive warm water a lot and eventually I'll put up a thread with pics of the rigs that I use for those dives. The basic configuration never changes, however. I just play with different combinations of plates, STAs, and a few other things so that I keep the majority of the required weight on my back and the weight on my belt to a minimum.

Hose configuration is like this...

The primary reg is on a 7 foot hose. Normally, it drops down the right side of the back and loops under the can light (or tucked in the right side of the waist belt when not using a can light) then up across the chest to the left shoulder, behind the neck and into the mouth from the right. When not in use it is clipped off to the right chest D-ring. When on deck, it is coiled it up and clipped it off...again, to the right D-ring. ( I have it stowed this way in my first pic on the cold water thread.)

The secondary reg... or backup reg... is on a 22" hose, routes over the right shoulder and is bungeed below the chin using 3/16" bungee and either tied around the mouthpiece of the reg or held in place under the mouthpiece zip tie.

The SPG is on a 24" hose and drops straight down the left side and is clipped off to the left waist D-ring.

The LPI hose is 22" and is attached to the corrugated hose by inner tube. The inflator is then held close to the chest with a loop of 1/8" bungee at the left chest D-ring.

Stainless steel bolt snaps are used to clip things off. The primary reg has a 3/8" snap, backup lights use either a 3/8" or 1/2" snap and the SPG uses a 3/4" or 1" snap depending on whether or not thick gloves are being worn. Snaps are tied to the gear using cave line...although sometimes I use an O-ring or a piece of inner tube.

The cannister light is on the right waist strap, pushed back against the plate and held in place by a single weight belt buckle. The backup lights are clipped off to the chest D-rings and held tight to the chest straps with two pieces of inner tube. Most of the time I don't bring these along.

The chest D-rings are a little below each clavicle. The left waist D-ring is in the mid axillary line and the waist belt buckle is just to the right of center. The knife is a simple short blade... 3" or so... and is in a sheath just to the left of the crotch strap which is itself just left of the waist belt buckle and centered in the mid-line. The crotch strap is not tight at all and just barely, if at all, pulls at the waist belt. The crotch strap is made of a softer material than the rest of the harness...I like the Halcyon and Oxycheck straps...and typically has two D-rings, though for recreational diving, they are of little use.

cebudiver, does that help a little?

Stephen Ash:
I suspect that you have the wrong impression of DIR but we would be best to just leave DIR out of this and try to stick to your original question. Otherwise, this thread is going to turn into something that you probably don't want. Trust me...it won't be a pretty sight.

You just might p*** off the DIR herd.

Stephen, thank for the in depth explanation and now see that am not far off from the proper setup. I don't have a 7' primary as of yet.

cebudiver:
They would rather dive alone than dive with someone who is not 100% DIR.
Dive alone? I'd invoke rule #1... :)

Roak

Stephen Ash:
The primary reg is on a 7 foot hose. Normally, it drops down the right side of the back and loops under the can light (or tucked in the right side of the waist belt when not using a can light) then up across the chest to the left shoulder, behind the neck and into the mouth from the right.

I was under the impression that a five foot hose was used for singles. Do you feel it is too short? I've seen some pictures where it looks like it is being pulled out of the diver's mouth.

-Zak

angryguy777:
I was under the impression that a five foot hose was used for singles.

-Zak

I don't know where this idea got started but it's not the first time that I've seen it.

Exact hose lengths are not as important as hose lengths that afford following two basic hogarthian principles. These are; 1) One should donate the reg that is in the mouth while having a backup immediately accessible...(that backup reg is usually located just beneath the chin and typically secured by a loop of bungee or surgical tubing around the neck.) and 2) hoses should follow streamlined routing while keeping all gear close to the body so that there are no 'danglies'.

The lengths that I mentioned in my post above are simply the lengths that I most commonly use. (They also happen to be standard DIR hose lengths.) Someone else may prefer, or even need, different sizes. Speaking only of an open water recreational rig, a diver might prefer to use a 5 foot hose looped under the right axilla rather than a longer hose routed under a cannister light or tucked under the waist belt. Some might even prefer to use a 40 inch hose on their primary.

angryguy777:
I was under the impression that a five foot hose was used for singles. Do you feel it is too short? I've seen some pictures where it looks like it is being pulled out of the diver's mouth.

Zak, if you do a search (sorry I usually hate when someone says this but in this case it will be helpful :D ) there is an informative thread regarding 5' and 7' hoses that was going on a few months ago.

Cebudiver, regarding the chest D-rings. When my rig was set up I luckly had a friend that offered to help. When it was time to adjust the D-rings how he suggested to do it was stand up straight (you've got your harness/bp on) and extend both arms straight out to your side with your index finger pointing, close your eyes then bend from elbows bringing your index finger to the harness. At that point is where you should consider putting your D-rings since that is your natural reach. I hope I explained that well. :05:

I also clip my SPG off to the left hip D-Ring (it is a bent D-Ring). After getting used to it clipped off on my hip and manipulating the clip it is quite comfortable located there.

I've been diving with my set up since April and love it. I pretty much have the same set up as Stephen. Except I haven't bought a can light so I'm not diving with one on a regular basis. For now I just tuck the long hose into my right side waist strap.

Now I've been sitting around at night practicing typing knots. Working on the Bowlin now. This is something girls are rarely taught growing up - typing various knots. lol

Mel

suthnbelle:
Zak, if you do a search (sorry I usually hate when someone says this but in this case it will be helpful :D ) there is an informative thread regarding 5' and 7' hoses that was going on a few months ago.

Mel,

Actually, I did do a search. I didn't find anything pertaining to specific lengths that people preferred. But, I'll look again. However, what sparked my first post was on many sites like scubatoys or halcyon they show the 5' as the single tank standard for hose kits... so I asked.

-Z

angryguy777:
Mel,

Actually, I did do a search. I didn't find anything pertaining to specific lengths that people preferred. But, I'll look again. However, what sparked my first post was on many sites like scubatoys or halcyon they show the 5' as the single tank standard for hose kits... so I asked.

-Z

Here is a thread that might help: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=110412&highlight=5+foot+hose+7

It still isn't the one I'm thinking about but if I come across that one I'll either post it here or PM you with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom