Holding a GoPro on a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have spent most of my first 100 dives staring at a tiny LCD screen. Whatever you do, do not make the mistake I made, and stay away from the LCD bacpac.

I prefer using the LCD when on med or narrow mode. I want to ensure that I capture my subject in the frame. I don't always use the LCD especially when I am not really close to my subject. I can see what you mean by fixating oneself to this tiny screen. It does take away from the dive experience, and enjoyment.

I think it is a good point to mention this because there are two sides to this. Its a matter of knowing when to reference the LCD screen to confirm your close up shot.

I sometimes do a quick light and camera check to see if they are lined up in the screen. Once I have checked I really don't bother rechecking and focus on the lit area only. This helps me from focusing to much on the LCD screen, IMO.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

The gorrila pods aren't very strong and wont help you much with stability beyond just carrying it in hand, I have one of those and using it on land with a light breeze will bend it or knock it over so it will be fairly useless underwater to setup shots. The heavier duty versions for heavier cams may be more useful underwater if they are similar to the locline arms used for underwater lights.

Camera in hand I think is not ideal, very hard to keep still for any living person due to the light small camera :D

A basic monopod works pretty well and is much better then just holding the camera, I have used my own DIY before but know use one of the handles from my SRP tray which works as good as any other. I can even mount a light to this but I havent tried that underwater yet.

The best method is a tray for best stability and if you intend to use lights, there are plenty around but this one from Snake River Prototyping works great. Very versatile with so many different ways of mounting and heres just a few Ive use or tried with and without lights, it also doubles as a mini tripod.

Hi Marty,

I am looking int o a GoPro tray and light rig and the SRP rig was one i have been considering. I see you have this setup from a previous post of yours with a pile of pics of it. The version I am asking about is the one in the pics I included.

Can you answer me a couple questions:
  1. what does the whole rig weight in at with chargers?
  2. what is the rough size.
  3. How do you pack it for travel - break it all the way down or leave it somewhat together?

Much appreciated!

This is how I like to carry my GoPro.
108abdx.jpg

ztf0k1.jpg

5d5we1.jpg

I ordered a Quik Pod DSLR monopod for mounting my GoPro.. However, I also came up with this idea.. It's just a cheap $10 rubber band gun...Installed a GoPro mount on the front (cut some slots into the plastic) and secured the mount with zip-ties or you could epoxy the attachment to the front.. The zip ties hold the mount perfectly.. :D I cut slots (to fit the GoPro extension mount) on the top side of the gun, but decided to cut slots on the bottom and mount there as this would make the camera more stable. I may add a lanyard if I decide to use it..

View attachment 129537View attachment 129538

those clips are available in full brass or stainless, as Large Animal (Horses/Llamas) lead rope clips.

check your local farm or feed store, or on the web as such.

I happened to read this thread just by chance, and let me say the posts above are pure genius...
Since they were just talking about Go Pro mounts and there is not a big technology evolution, I felt free to bump the thread

Hey Thook ever think about using a light mount for your mono pole?

View attachment 458937

To use with 1" 3/4 diameter video light.

Also available are light mounts for the bigger video lights. Called the professional mono pole light mount.

Z GEAR - Z Gear
That’s my favorite GoPro mount. The two hand hold provides almost as much stability as a tray, but you get the reach of a pole and the means to do selfie.

That’s my favorite GoPro mount. The two hand hold provides almost as much stability as a tray, but you get the reach of a pole and the means to do selfie.

I tried that setup a while ago. The pole becomes difficult to hold because the weight of the light causes the pole to twist to the side. Not a great design.

I tried that setup a while ago. The pole becomes difficult to hold because the weight of the light causes the pole to twist to the side. Not a great design.
What? The left hands holds the ZGear light mount, the right hand holds the pole and you can brace the end of the pole on your shoulder like a machine gun. It's very stable.
See Frank's video

When held in one hand, it becomes unbalanced and unwieldy. Never managed to do the 2 hand thing reliably. I ended up with the Mako tray. Much easier and more stable.

Last edited:
I have a couple of trays too. They’re a little more stable and more compact but I like the extra reach and the selfie of the pole. I like to see myself diving and it’s awkward asking someone else to video me.

My latest pole is a compact carbon fiber Povgear pole — very nice.
Carbon Mini | Your Perfect GoPro Adventure Companion
One minor drawback of the pole is it puts the LCD viewfinder away from your eyes and I’m hoping the short pole will help with that.

I would like to buy a pole but I don't like the handle of most of them, because it doesn't have a metal ring but just a nylon wrist strap. Same for the coil lanyard clips, their appearance is fragile
I think I will end up with this setup:

1) pole
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B075F2ZZYM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) light
https://www.amazon.it/Andoer-Subacq...1-30-spons&keywords=LED+Video+Light+120&psc=1

3) coil lanyard with clip (still not satisfied searching for something more robust)
smart coil standard | Best Divers

4) carabiner (to secure the stick to the d-ring after shooting so that it doesn't move on my chest)
Moschettone DIR 115 mm | Best Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom