Holes in the Ground

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rollerboi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A fellow classmate has invited me to go dive a small geothermal well on his family's private property in Fillmore (Utah) - a 25 ft hole that they like to dive from time to time.

This got me to thinking. How many such holes in the ground are there around here, anyways? Is most of it on private land? How would one go about finding them and obtaining permission? I would love to dive some sites that are off the beaten path (as long as there's no overhead).

I found some rough maps of geothermal resources (including wells and springs) online, and there seem to be a lot. Whether they're diveable or not, I have no idea. I also have no idea if they are part of a cave system, which I want to avoid for now due to lack of training. I'm not even sure how to narrow down the coordinates of each known well at this point.

Anyone out there involved with any of this? I'd love to talk with you.

Hey rollerboi,

First off did you make it to Sand Hollow and how was it?

Now back to topic. Are you talking about diving 'The Meadows'? Been there a few times. It is part of a system but not accessible. The opening is way to small. Not technically an overhead but it's not a straight drop either. May want to google it and have a look. If that's not it then you can always stop by since it's in Fillmore also.
As for geothermal around Utah there are many. OK numerous. Most are either way to hot 125 degF or greater, to small or shallow to be of much good. There is a fairly good sized one in southern Utah but unfortunately it's not open for us as it is part of an industrial process. The one we are continually hoping for is Utah Roses..next to the state prison. For the 25 years I've been diving and trying they have never said yes.
Have you looked at the State of Utah Geological site? Utah's Geothermal Wells & Springs
You can also use this state site to see if it's private or public: State Land Ownership
I use Google Maps along with the coordinates from the UGS site to have a look.
More than happy to answer any questions

Last edited:
Hey rollerboi,
First off did you make it to Sand Hollow and how was it?
Yup! See my other thread.

Now back to topic. Are you talking about diving 'The Meadows'? Been there a few times. It is part of a system but not accessible.
Just got that cleared up; it is indeed the Meadows.

Thanks for your pointers! We should get together sometime. :)

Back
Top Bottom