Holiday vegetable side dishes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oddly enough, one of the guests has actually requested Brussels sprouts! I had them last year, and I thought I wanted something new, but since someone actually asked, I'm happy to oblige. I may do carrots as well; I think the color would work in well. And Penny, I'm all for simplicity

As for the brandied cranberries:

1 12 oz bag of cranberries
1 1/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 C brandy

Mix the cranberries, sugar, and brandy in a 2 qt casserole dish. Cover with lid or foil and bake at 300 F for 1 1/2 hours or until cranberries are soft. Stir a couple of times while baking. You may want to add a splash of brandy and mix in when cooled. I also once used port instead of brandy, and that was also delicious.

Braised Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
Comments: A new favorite
Prep Time:
Production Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 6 – 8 servings
Source: Adapted from Suzanne Goin of Lucques and A.O.C., Los Angeles via the New York Times

Ingredients
Qty Unit Ingredient
1 ½ Cups Fresh bread crumbs. A good, hearty white bread works well for this recipe
2 Tsp Thyme leaves
6 TBSP Olive oil, extra virgin
4 TBSP Butter, unsalted
2 Pounds Brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed. Baby sprouts work best for this recipe, cut larger sprouts in half so that everything is about the same size
Salt
Pepper
6 Oz Pancetta, small dice. About 1 ½ cups.
3 TBSP Shallots, minced
1 TBSP Garlic, minced
½ Cup Balsamic vinegar
½ Cup Veal or rich chicken stock, more if needed
2 TBSP Parsley, chopped
Directions
1. Heat oven to 350F. Mix bread crumbs, thyme and olive oil, toss well and spread on a cookie sheet. Toast in oven, tossing frequently, until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Heat butter and remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until foamy. Add Brussels sprouts, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sauté, tossing frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add diced pancetta and sauté, tossing frequently, until sprouts are well browned and softened slightly, and pancetta is crisp, about 10 minutes more.
4. Reduce heat, add shallots and garlic, sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
5. Increase heat to high, add balsamic vinegar and veal stock and cook, tossing frequently until the sprouts are tender and glazed, about 10 minutes.
6. Taste, adjust seasonings, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
7. Transfer to a warm serving bowl and scatter bread crumbs on top.
Service Suggestions
This is a fairly labor intensive last minute production dish, but worth the effort.

Winter Squash Braised in Cider
Comments: Easy back-burner item
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Production Time: 15 minutes
Makes: Approximately 8 servings

Ingredients
Qty Unit Ingredient
3 Pounds Delicate or butternut squash
3 TBSP Butter
3 TBSP Rosemary, finely chopped
3 Cups Apple or pear cider, unfiltered. You want the dregs.
Salt
Black pepper, freshly ground

Directions
1. Peel and de-seed the squash and dice into ½” chunks.
2. Melt butter in a large (12”) skillet over medium heat until foamy.
3. Add rosemary and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
4. Add squash, cider, 1 tsp salt. If squash is not covered by the cider, add water to cover.
5. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until the squash is tender and cider has been reduced to a glaze, about 30 – 40 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with vinegar and adjust salt and pepper.
7. Transfer to a warm serving bowl and serve immediately.

How about asparagus spears wrapped in bacon and broiled? I had it at my cousin's wedding and it was fantastic!!

Thanks for the cranberry recipe - that sounds fabulous! I'm going to try it for the family this year - yum!

As for the brussles sprouts - I do a simple roasting job with them, similar to my earlier roasted veggies recipe. Just cut them in half, put on a cookie sheet (cut side UP) and drizzle with olive oil and seasonings (I use a hawaiian sea salt blend I have, but garlic salt, rosemary, etc..., really any spices you want would be good). Bake until they're soft and the outer edges start to get crispy. Take out and sprinkle with parm. cheese. Yummy.
Not fair talking about this - I'm starting to get hungry and it's only 9:30!

And, my, aren't they odd looking!

Reefraff, the sprouts/pancetta recipe sounds excellent - it won't work for me timing wise with this meal (the gravy is last-minute and time consuming) but it will work with other things. I think I am going with a recipe a co-worker gave me from a Williams-Sonoma book for the sprouts with a white cheddar sauce, much of which can be done ahead of time.

Texan, that is more in the "keeping it simple" but delicious philosophy. I had some grilled asparagus on Friday that was wonderful.

Hey Kelpmermaid,
Just wanted to let you know that I tried your cranberry recipe and it was a hit! I didn't have brandy on hand, so I used a cream sherry instead, as well as substituting the Splenda for Baking for the sugar - it was great! I've always made my own fresh sauce on the stove, so baking it was new for me, and it worked really well. Much less work than having to keep an eye on stirring the pot.
HOw did your meal turn out? Were the sprouts good?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom