Hollis C45 LX for single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_divo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm working with my LDS to set up a rig that will get me to about 45lb. of lift for singles tanks (not trying to debate that choice here). They've suggested the Zeagle Ranger LTD. (44lb), which seems good, but I'd prefer to go with a backplate and wing for various reasons. Does any one have personal experience using a Hollis C45 LX for single tank diving?

There's actually two versions of the C45 LX. One is labeled single and the other double, but as far as I can tell that refers to the number of bladders (the double incorporates a measure of redundancy.) Hollis hasn't responded to my queries and various online retailers seem to liberally contradict each other about the purpose of these wings.

Does anyone have conclusive personal experience with these?

i have used a 45lb dive rite for single tank diving before and the hollis has a similar issue. they are designed for doubles, so will be wider than necessary for single tank. you will see them taco. not to say you can't mcgyver it to work, but it isn't ideal.

any reason you need 45lb lift for single tank? how about a larger single tank wing in the 38 to 40 lb range like the s38 lx or eclipse 40?

Mostly, 45lb because I'm a really big guy, and I'll be wearing a full 7mm suit plus a hooded vest for cold water diving. which will most likely require over 40lb. of ballast. I haven't settled on the suit yet. I'm still researching options. Once I do, I'll be able to do tests and figure out exactly how much lift I'll need. If I can get it down to 40, there are a lot more options available. But, currently that's what I have to work with.

Even if you need that much weight to sink, it is unlikely the suit and hood would actually require over 32 pounds of lift, so even with a bigger tank like a 120/130, a 40 pound wing is likely enough. The amount you need to sink yourself doesn't need to factor into your lift needs, just the additional amount you use for the suit and vest.

not unless if you integrate all the weight onto the bc. if you have a good amount on a belt on yourself, the wing only needs to float the rest.

Mostly, 45lb because I'm a really big guy, and I'll be wearing a full 7mm suit plus a hooded vest for cold water diving. which will most likely require over 40lb. of ballast.

40 lbs of ballast? I thinks I'd rather take a nap.

Like I said in the OP, I want this to stay focused on experience with the Hollis C45 LX, not who calculated ballast how and why.

Like I said in the OP, I want this to stay focused on experience with the Hollis C45 LX, not who calculated ballast how and why.
Good luck with that....

Why are you so set on this specific wing? I know others who use Dive Rite 45lb wings for single tank.

Back
Top Bottom