Hollis C45 LX for single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are you so set on this specific wing? I know others who use Dive Rite 45lb wings for single tank.

I'm actually looking at several wings, and I'll add the Dive Rite 45lb to my list. Thanks for the suggestion. DIRZone also has a dedicated 44lb (20L) single tank wing. Just to clarify, this specific post is focused on figuring out whether the Hollis C45 LX should be on my list or not. As I said, there's a lot of conflicting info out there about that wing specifically.

Frankly, Dive Rite seems to have a better reputation than Hollis. Better customer service, too, so that should also figure into your equation.

I was given a 10 year old Dive Rite 45lb wing to use with doubles. It needed a little love in a new power inflator head and butt dump valve. No problem to find parts that still fit it.

This is the Dive Rite wing I suggested.
Dive Rite Rec Wing

Like I said in the OP, I want this to stay focused on experience with the Hollis C45 LX, not who calculated ballast how and why.

Okay I just realized I have 2 never-used Hollis 45 wings with tags etc that I bought to use in swimming pools in NYC and NC. Never did that, but as I have them in hand, I can at least give you some useful feed-back:

#1. I just mocked one up on a 1.25 diameter AL 80...."Taco it is not, Fajita is more like it. with no air, it wrapped almost completely (within 3/8") around the tank. On a set of double 85s each side, as with the Halcyon, wrapped about half-way up the sides of the tanks. I not at all interested in trying the Hollis 45 out on a single AL80in a fridged lake with nobody around ......
I know the Hollis 45 would be great for doubles in a chlorinated pool, but not worth a **** for diving a single AL 80 anywhere.

I hope this has been of some actual help....now, back too the Mayhem.....

Okay I just realized I have 2 never-used Hollis 45 wings with tags etc that I bought to use in swimming pools in NYC and NC. Never did that, but as I have them in hand, I can at least give you some useful feed-back:

#1. I just mocked one up on a 1.25 diameter AL 80...."Taco it is not, Fajita is more like it. with no air, it wrapped almost completely (within 3/8") around the tank. On a set of double 85s each side, as with the Halcyon, wrapped about half-way up the sides of the tanks. I not at all interested in trying the Hollis 45 out on a single AL80in a fridged lake with nobody around ......
I know the Hollis 45 would be great for doubles in a chlorinated pool, but not worth a **** for diving a single AL 80 anywhere.

I hope this has been of some actual help....now, back too the Mayhem.....

Thanks. Yes, that was helpful. I'm definitely taking the Hollis C45 LX off the list.

Does the Hollis 45lb wing have bungees like the Dive Rite 45lb wing does?

Frankly, Dive Rite seems to have a better reputation than Hollis. Better customer service, too, so that should also figure into your equation.

I was given a 10 year old Dive Rite 45lb wing to use with doubles. It needed a little love in a new power inflator head and butt dump valve. No problem to find parts that still fit it.

This is the Dive Rite wing I suggested.
Dive Rite Rec Wing

I had looked at Dive Rite early on and was attracted to their system, but I couldn't find them for sale over here in Korea. I had moved away from them because I wasn't sure I could get service locally. Since then, I have seen them advertised on Korean retail sites, so I'm taking another serious look at the Rec. Thanks.

According to the Hollis website "The LX design also includes a 360 degree internal retraction system."

Internal is different from the external bungees the DR wing has.

I had looked at Dive Rite early on and was attracted to their system, but I couldn't find them for sale over here in Korea. I had moved away from them because I wasn't sure I could get service locally. Since then, I have seen them advertised on Korean retail sites, so I'm taking another serious look at the Rec. Thanks.

Depending on what the problem is, replacing corrugated inflator hose/inflator power head/butt dump is so simple the non-mechanically inclined (me!) can do it. You can order those parts online

Back
Top Bottom