Hollis M1 vs. Oceanic Shadow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just phil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys, need your help.

I never had any luck with masks until I found the mini...
So, I’ve been using a Scubapro frameless mini for about a decade now without issue. Except one, at day 4 of any dive trip the underside of my nose (the piece that separates your nostrils) gets painful! But I’ve always just “Man’d Up” and took comfort that it’ll be sore when I’m back at work for a very good reason!

In Bonaire this past February, the mini started leaking on day 2. Stuck with it for a couple more dive, nothing would fix it! Ran to a dive shop & the guy told me the the Tusa Paragon was universal. Every face, no problems. It seemed to work for me in the store. Overpriced for sure, but I was on Bonaire.
Before anyone says it, I tried the new mini on then & it just didn’t seem to work.
Got it in the water with the Paragon, leaked everywhere. Got down to about 70ft & after about 30 minutes it was pushing into ( felt like pushing through!) the cranial ridge above my right eye!! (Lesson learned)

thanks to COVID, LDCs are not exactly thrilled with people sticking their face in a mask and setting it back on the shelf. So, I research...
I read a blog about the Hollis M1 having a bigger nose pocket & good sealing characteristics. Anyone have first hand experience?
Also had someone mention the Oceanic Shadow. Same thing, any first hand experience?

I’m 6’ 220Lbs with a round(ish) face.

If I’m missing the obvious choice, please feel free to tell me.

Thanks in advance!
Phil

The M1 is my main mask, it is excellent and fits my face perfect. Glass is super clear and easy to clean.

I have owned a mini shadow as well and it was also fine if not a tad small.

The M4 is also an excellent mask.

I have a small nose and a small head. My preferred long loved mask still hurts the underside of my nose more often than not, at the end of the day.

A few years ago, it started to leak all the time. So frustrating, yet I could not see a darn thing wrong with the skirt.

Ultimately, after another 50 dives or so, it turned out to be the way I set my ask strap on the back of my head.

Yes, I've obviously fallen on my head a few times, lol.

Give it a try, moving the widest part of your mask strap further up or further down, and see if there's any relief that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom