Hollis Made in China?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

their lights are overseas too, not sure what else they do that gets imported, but such is life. Hey, if you can return it, then return it, and buy deep sea supply, they are a bit more local than supporting american factory workers, you're supporting LA based factory workers....

Reactions: mdb
their lights are overseas too, not sure what else they do that gets imported, but such is life. Hey, if you can return it, then return it, and buy deep sea supply, they are a bit more local than supporting american factory workers, you're supporting LA based factory workers....
Thank you for the info.

FWIW, I have 2 Hollis wings, and I use them hard and and travel with them. No issues. Great company, great products. I understand about supporting US Made, etc. Look at a company like Apple, "proudly Designed in the USA", etc. My imported iPhone, iPad and 3 computers are the least of my worries.

From the Federal Trade Commission website:

" What kinds of claims does the Enforcement Policy Statement apply to?

The Enforcement Policy Statement applies to U.S. origin claims that appear on products and labeling, advertising, and other promotional materials. It also applies to all other forms of marketing, including marketing through digital or electronic mechanisms, such as Internet or e-mail.

A Made in USA claim can be express or implied.
Examples of express claims: Made in USA. "Our products are American-made." "USA."

In identifying implied claims, the Commission focuses on the overall impression of the advertising, label, or promotional material. Depending on the context, U.S. symbols or geographic references (for example, U.S. flags, outlines of U.S. maps, or references to U.S. locations of headquarters or factories) may convey a claim of U.S. origin either by themselves, or in conjunction with other phrases or images.

Example: A company promotes its product in an ad that features a manager describing the "true American quality" of the work produced at the company’s American factory. Although there is no express representation that the company’s product is made in the U.S., the overall — or net — impression the ad is likely to convey to consumers is that the product is of U.S. origin."

UPDATE: Hollis products now made in USA.

I went back to my LDS to find out about the Made in China issue and was informed that Hollis did make some of their stuff in China but they had just recently moved the production back to the USA. A move more and more manufacturers are doing as the price difference decreases and they get tired of long shipping times and lack of real manufacturing oversite.

Lucky for me my LDS had gotten in a new shipment from Hollis and not only does it say Made in the USA but has an American flag on it too. He gladly exchanged out my Chinese made stuff for the Made in USA, and I must say I can see a difference.

So my hat is off to Hollis for bring everything back to where it started. :yeahbaby:

I never said they claim Made in USA on their wings. What they do say in the "About Us" on their website is "Proudly designed and built in the USA". No where on the site did I see a statement that their wings were made in China. Please correct me if I over looked it.
So yes the wing does state "Made by Hollis in China" as per required by law but by putting a blanket statement on their website stating "Proudly designed and built in the USA" is misleading at the least. Perhaps they could put a footnote on the wing page stating they are made in China?

I'm sure Hollis makes top quality gear but as a consumer I would like to know before I buy if the products are made here or abroad. My choice to support American factory workers or not.

you sure they weren't referring to the website?

you sure they weren't referring to the website?[/

No they weren't referring to the website. Go to Hollis.com then "About Us" and see for yourself. However this statement appears to be correct now since their new stock is being made in the USA.

Wow, that's pretty big news. Where do they say it on their website?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom