Hollis vs. Apeks BP/W Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake3745

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First post to Scubaboard, so forgive the (potential) inadvertent failure to adhere to decorum.

Am starting the transition to tec diving; am in the Northeast so want to pick up a BP/W setup for backmounted doubles. Feedback that I’ve received is that there’s no material difference in rig quality across the well-regarded manufacturers, so before I pull the trigger, any feedback on difference in quality between Apeks and Hollis?
For a few reasons, would like a dual bladder wing so specifically am looking at the Hollis C45 LX and the Apeks WTX-D60R. Think I probably only need 45 lbs of lift but Apeks doesn’t make a dual-bladder-wing with only 45 lbs of lift.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Please think more carefully about what you might need and discuss this with a reputable local tec instructor, not a sales person.. First off all, why the double bladder? I would guess in the North East a dry suit is appropriate, no? And where do you get your 45lbs from?
I'm glad you came here to ask before making a decision, my advice would be to discuss this with your tec instructor that you plan to take the courses with

Thanks very much for the feedback, much appreciated.

45 lbs / double bladder is based on guidance I’ve received from my local tec instructor. Can go back to him to get him to clarify the rationale - but setting aside what specific equipment I need (which I can and will clarify with my instructor, as you said) just curious if there is any material distinction in quality / performance across the two manufacturers.

I agree with @Pkishino. Get some information from this board first. Lots of great advice you can get from this forum,

Personally, I not a big fan of proprietary system so I would prefer Hollis over Apeks.

Hollis-made in Asia, known history of wretched customer support
Apeks-not really a known brand in the US technical world so I'd be curious if something happened where it would have to go to get fixed.

If you are set on dual bladder, get Dive Rite gear. Made in USA, great customer support, lifetime warranty, etc. Northeast Scuba Supply will have them in stock. Support a good local dive shop in your ish neck of the woods.

I have no issue with dual bladder for ocean diving, and if your tec instructor wants you to have one, then go for it, but I would avoid both of those brands you first asked about personally

It always surprises me when us people don't recognise Apeks, hardly any serious diver I know outside of the US DOESN'T know Apeks :p just goes to show what marketing does...

Apeks is known in the US for their regulators, not their wings. They were late to the technical diving party. The other thing that holds them back is their pricing, their products are significantly more expensive in the US than in Europe.

Ah, that makes more sense :)

In my experience tbone is right on the money about Hollis -- so-so quality and their support is not great.

There is another wing you might consider, the Dive Rite Classic XT (65 lb lift) with dual bladders -- I do a fair bit of tech off NJ and this is the wing I use, I have no complaints and am really happy with it.

Depending on your setup you might want a little more than 45 lbs lift -- if you are diving what a lot of guys up here are (double hp120s + AL40) you are going to be carrying 20+ lbs of gas, add in the buoyany of your exposure suit plus a little extra and you might get close to or over that 45lb.

It always surprises me when us people don't recognise Apeks, hardly any serious diver I know outside of the US DOESN'T know Apeks :p just goes to show what marketing does...

Apeks is known in the US for their regulators, not their wings. They were late to the technical diving party. The other thing that holds them back is their pricing, their products are significantly more expensive in the US than in Europe.

and their distribution network going largely through recreational shops.

as said above, their regs are known here, but they're marketed as "premium" regulators and priced as such. Combine that with dealers not being allowed to sell parts kits to the technical divers and they just aren't big players in this country. On the BC side of things though, why would we bother with them when we have companies like Deep Sea Supply, Halcyon, and Dive Rite all making their gear in this country, with service in this country, and good dealer networks or direct service.

@Pkishino perfect example on the pricing. Can you send some comparable prices from your neck of the woods? Can be in euros, it's just to see the relative price of things

DS4/XTX50 doubles kit. Apeks "base model" is $1150 from one of our biggest US dealers. The Tek3 is $1275... youch
DS4/XTX50 Doubles Package
You're in Sweden, so you're familiar. The Xstream Doubles equivalent is only $1500 which is a "premium regulator"
DGX Custom - Poseidon Xstream Doubles Reg Package
but the part that kills the whole concept is the Dive Rite XT doubles kit is $700. No one is going to pay 1.5x for literally just the "brand name" of Apeks, especially when you can't get parts for them
DGX Custom - Dive Rite XT Doubles Reg Package

On the wing side, just the WTX-60R dual bladder is $650 in the US.
WTX-60R Buoyancy Cell
The Dive Rite is $480. You get nothing for the extra near $200/35% more, other than the "Apeks" name which doesn't mean anything on the bp/w side of things.
Dive Rite Classic EXP Wing - Dual Bladder
and you can get an entire bp/w with the "armored" dual wing *which I would actually recommend for northeast wreck diving* for $700. So a more durable wing with the superfabric cover, and a SS plate/harness for $50 more than just the Apeks wing. That's a no brainer...
DGX Custom - Dive Rite Harness/Plate/Wing Package

Hell, even the Halcyon Explorer *admittedly only single bladder* is only $735 and you're getting the blue H tax on that one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom