Holy Crap, my booties stink!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyRubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok so what's with this horrific odor equipment puts off after a salt water dive!

I rinsed everything well and had it dry as well as possible before my flight home from ITK, but opened the suitcase and YIKES! I nearly passed out.

If we could bottle it I'm sure I could get at least two enemy countries to buy it as a weapon of mass destruction.

So what's the remedy folks? Tips and suggestions desparately needed for both the 'how to prevent this natural disaster' and what to do once it strikes!

Don't pee in your wetsuit? :wink:
Posted via Mobile Device

This might help.Sink the Stink

You have to let your dive gear dry 100% before packing it in a suite case. If you put any parts away dry the mildew odor gets on anything packed with it.

When you get home and unpack your gear you should use a product similar to Slosh and soak your wet suites, boots, gloves in it over night and then rinse them out.

We dive a lot in the Gulf and the odor builds up over time but if you don't let the gear dry 100% its an sure shot to get the odor.

Can booties/gloves be thrown in a dryer?

Small organisms and plant matter will get into neoprene. It will die and rot. That will stink.

There are enzyme cleaners out there specifically to deal with this. Use one when the stink gets too bad.

Also did you wash your feet before you put them on? I mean it is summer and some people's feet get pretty nasty. Just to be sure, the next time you go diving, smell your feet before you put the boots on and have the person next to you smell them as well for an objective opinion. It may just be a simple matter of excess toejam.

Can booties/gloves be thrown in a dryer?

If you don't want them any more.
I use liquid laundry detergent. Rinse well. Let thoroughly dry. It is the same as a stinky wetsuit. There are also threads on here for that. I have a front load washer, just throw all items in (wetsuits inside out) and use COLD water ONLY, with laundry deter. and Snuggle or Downy (they will be soooo soft). I have done this for years.

Last edited:
Can u or should you? :wink: you can do anything once :wink: I wouldn't recomend it though :)
Posted via Mobile Device

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom