Home improvement board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowprintrabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A billion years ago (OK, maybe 3 or 4?) when the board was down for an extended period, a bunch of us moved to a home improvement board being started by the same kind people behind ScubaBoard. Fast forward to 2009, when I have an actual home improvement question, and can I think of the name of that board? No...

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or if it's still around? (or if not - where I can buy my ticket for the geezer bus?)

I remember that time, but not the name of the board. Do you think it is CRS?!!! You might try "that home site" on gardenweb.com, though. There are various fora (?) for different topics such as paint, plumbing, bathrooms, electrical, etc.

I dunno what the board is, but I've been doing a ton of home improvements over the last 2 years. What's your question - maybe I can help?

Cheers!
nd

I dunno what the board is, but I've been doing a ton of home improvements over the last 2 years. What's your question - maybe I can help?

Cheers!
nd

it's a problem at my condo, where my mom lives. About once or twice a month, when she pulls something out of the bathroom GFI socket, it trips. It's not the same plug every time. I was thinking that sounded like a short? My husband fiddled with it while he was there yesterday and couldn't get it to repro. Do I need to send in an electrician, or just have hubby replace the GFI next time he is there? Or do nothing since there's nothing wrong with it and it's doing what it's supposed to?

Mom is in WA state, but I am overseas for an extended time and can't actually get there to look at it; which is frustrating since I am the mechanically/electrically/home improvement inclined one out of the family...

When they pulled the plug, the GFI tripped and they can't get it to reset.:D

Just replace the GFCI that would be the easiest thing. make sure he does not forget to turn the power off at the breaker, drink too much before hand, touch a live wire, or forget to turn the power off at the breaker.

it's a problem at my condo, where my mom lives. About once or twice a month, when she pulls something out of the bathroom GFI socket, it trips. It's not the same plug every time. I was thinking that sounded like a short? My husband fiddled with it while he was there yesterday and couldn't get it to repro. Do I need to send in an electrician, or just have hubby replace the GFI next time he is there? Or do nothing since there's nothing wrong with it and it's doing what it's supposed to?
Well, first question is, is it the same thing that you're plugging in and out that causes the problem? If so, then that item itself may be the problem (the wires in its plug/cable/whatever are shorted). If not, then it could be the socket. I had a similar problem and an electrician did say that the sockets "go bad" once in a while. I didn't really believe him though. In any case, there is no harm in replacing the socket. They're only about $15 and easy to do. I wouldn't hire an electrician to do it though.

There's another possibility too. It's possible the breaker on that circuit is bad. I had this problem too. Replaced that breaker, problems with that circuit went away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom