Home Owners Association - Going Ballistic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't do well with HOA's. The one I was stuck with was truly happy when I left. They mandated that I plant border flowers and shrubbery, I put a rock garden and cacti. They said I couldn't have a fence for my dog int eh back yard, so I installed invisible fencing. You should have seen the looks of terror when people watched my Great Danes just standing there watching them with no visible barrier. Did I mention we were on the golf course? It was the fastest played hole on the course.
They really can't do anything about your cylinders, as they are not hazardous. Keep your garage door down and tell her to piss off......

You do not indicate where you are from which might make a big difference. Here, in TX, an HOA has quite a bit of power and is assumed to be correct if things go to court. The kicker is they have the power to intimidate and coerce HOA members through fines without even going to court. So fines can be levied and allowed to build before anything gets to a legal resolution. I suggest you read your covenants very closely along with any state statutes addressing HOA powers and authority and compare those with any official letters you have received.

Of course, you do only store empty cylinders in your home but you are quite concerned over the storage of combustible materials such as gasoline in and around homes which could ignite and spread fires throughout the community.

BTW, I am on my HOA board. I tried to stay out of the community politics until a small but active group took power and tried to get a bit extreme with covenant enforcement. After a couple neighbors moved and others were being harassed, the neighborhood became a bit more interested in what was going on and the board changed over to a much more neighborly group.

They said I couldn't have a fence for my dog int eh back yard, so I installed invisible fencing. You should have seen the looks of terror when people watched my Great Danes just standing there watching them with no visible barrier. Did I mention we were on the golf course? It was the fastest played hole on the course.

The vision going through my head right now is just hilarious!!!!:rofl3:

BTW I used to raise English Mastiffs, so I know "that look of terror".:D

What about hair spray? That is compressed flammable liquid that can explode or be used as a flame thrower. I had a roommate in college who did some testing in our dorm room to see which sprays and cleaning products would shoot out the longest and prettiest flames.

I live in a HOA and understand the issues of how an over aggressive board can make life miserable. They can create problems, but you can push back as hard if you can defend yourself, with I feel you can. First, you need to review the rules to see if you are in violation, I doubt you are as the rules are not focused on scuba tanks. If the rules prohibit storing dangerous items, as long as your tanks are VIPed annually, and hydroed when expected, and stored in a safe place ( away from heaters and the sun, etc), your tanks should not be considered dangerous. A gas grill on a deck is far more dangerous than a scuba tank. Spray cans can be very dangerous if stored near heat. I've seen a 10oz spray can explode from being stored next to a boiler, shatter all the windows and launch the front door into the yard.

Any rule violation imposed by the HOA should have a arbitration review process. If the board fines you, follow the arbitration process, showing them that a maintained tank is safe and that the board is attacking you. I'm sure you will win.

Good Luck. I'm on the board in my community. It is a challenge at times keeping the members from attacking others. The community can over turn the board and will push back on a board that appears is oppressing a fellow homeowner. You have more power than you realize.

Tom

Does she have a propane tank to heat her home or on a BBQ? How about the explosive potential of that tank of gasoline she parks in her garage? I am sure you can find statistics to show natural gas inside the complex is a far greater risk to the community.

... i just got a letter stating "cans of compressed air" are precluded in the complex's deed restrictions...

If this wording is correct, that would include cans of air you can spray dust off computer keyboards with. If true, I think you should immediately lodge a complaint against her hair spray, deodorant, spray paint, and cans of Pam. :wink:

well guess you have to live with all kinds,,,
hope they never check me with all my cans of spray i have for air,sprays of all types for both man and bugs!

Why would anyone move into one of these areas? Did you buy your house? Are you paying for it? I'd plant cactus, get a lifesize greek fountain, fill it with cheap plastic pink flamingos, and sit in my underwear staring at it and scratching my nether regions every time they went by. Let em send all the letters they want. Mark em addressee has moved in crayon return to sender and drop em in a mailbox. Or invite all your "relatives" to a big shin dig. You know the ones with harleys, tattoos, guns in scabbards, and chicks with boobs down to their knees and smoking cigars to hang on the front lawn. HOA- I'm a yuppie puke and I have power so respect my authoriti.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom