Home Owners Association - Going Ballistic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is truly amazing what some folks will suggest at HOA or COA meetings. I serve on mine with mixed emotions. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't...

Remind them of fire extingestures. just get the HOA to do a "Discover Diving" course and they will see how harmless stored cylinders really are.

I've lived `with HOA's for my personal and investment property for 30 years. For the most part they do their job of keeping my neighbors' property from becoming an eye sore or even devaluating my property.

I agree with this. I think the entire problem is that she SAW them and wasn't educated. In her mind you are probably using it to create meth and are going to blow up the whole neighborhood....

We are also in Texas and they will eventually sue you and put a lien on your home if you don't do as they say!

...as an aside:
My neighbor complained about another neighbor constantly letting her medium sized dogs take not so medium sized dumps in her yard and not cleaning up after them. Finally she called the city to suggest they put up signs on our street about proper pet clean up.

The city did so. Right in the center of my neighbor's front yard.

About a week later, my neighbor got a letter from the HOA telling her to remove the "unathorized sign" from her yard.

That was quite a laugh. She called and told them to please call the city as she didn't want it in the middle of her yard either.

It's still there almost 3 years later...

Power trippin HOA board members are just trying to fill a void in their pathetic lives.

Ignoring in my opinion is bad advice. Don't play the game. Bring the covenants to lawyer along with her letter. Have him draft a response explaining the difference between a inspected and tested cylinder which are not referenced and a can of compressed air which are referenced. Also thank her for pointing out these hazards :D:D and that he will be sending a letter out to all the membership informing them that the covenants do not allow LP gas, hair spray, Pam or any other compressed gases contained in thin wall cans and that they will need to get rid of them or face fines. Should make her real popular.

Doubler is correct, as in most cases the law and actionable fines that the courts will uphold are on the side of the HOA. I would do as he says and if they continue to harass you, but allow other types of tanks-such as compressed flammable gases, file a discrimination lawsuit against them.

Read the actual HOA, if necessary hire a lawyer to get a legal opinion on what it means. What was quoted in the letter may not actually be what is written or meant in the HOA. Your response from a lawyer my get them thinking how much it will cost, and the board might rein in the letter writer.

The hard part is if the wording and meaning are correctly interpreted by the HOA, you will need to have it changed. Every guy with an air compressor in the garage will be with you, and with the amount of convince and safety devices using compressed air, if listed, will show how stupid the rule is and that it needs to be changed. It might be the time to oust the board and put in new members that have sense.

Spellcheck wants to change HOA to HOAR, what does that tell you.

Bob
-------------------------------------
Never met a windmill I couldn't beat in a fair fight.

I have managed HOAs and served on their boards in a prior life, and now that I am living in one of these "controlled" communities, after going nuts from letters about anything from the trash can remaining out tooooo long to parking a mobile air truck in the drive for a few hours, etc., I have found the best answer is to ignore the control freaks and wait until they have staked themselves out. In most cases, they have backed off after the notices and my return letter stating that I would file a "right of quiet enjoyment suit" , I just laugh them off now! Go diving, and hide your tanks from the brown shirts.

This stuff really frosts me. I don't know why. Maybe its remembering a friend whose family bought a home in one of these ghettos that found out after they moved in that the HOA was requiring them to put in an underground lawn sprinkler system that the previous owner did not have to do. THey were there before the HOA buttwipes came into existence. Something like 10,000 dollars, and then they had to use one certain lawn cutting service that kept all the lawns at the same height. Lazy yuppie bastards too busy snorting coke and screwing each others wives to cut their own grass. These places truly are ghettos and projects. If youy cannot do as you wish with your home you live in a project. If all the people are of the same socio-economic level and have this idea that everyone should look the same and you are not allowed to make improvements without HOA ( horde of assholes) approval it is a ghetto. I've heard of ones that objected to someone flying too big of an american flag in their yard. THose are the ones that need to have someone buy a place then move a large family of immigrants in. Ones that keep chickens, goats, and sacrifice to some pagan god every other sunday. You also need to tell them to go back to the trailer parks they most likely grew up in and shut TF up.

Back
Top Bottom