Homemade neck dams for neck or wrist seals that are too big

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverintheflesh

Contributor
Reaction score
Are your neck or wrist seals on your drysuit too big, did it stretch out, did you cut too much off, lose weight, or buy it that way and don't have the time to get a new seal installed?

Then, do what I've done... Make a neoprene neck dam! I'm actually using them for my students when they rent a drysuit and the neck and/or wrists are too large. It would work in wetsuits and semi-dry's as well.

This is pure neoprene, very soft and elastic with no fabric backing. Make a size slightly smaller than the diameter of your neck or wrists (about 20%) and place your seal right on top of it. Neoprene is waterproof, but remember that the neoprene will get thinner as you dive so size accordingly.

This piece is 1/4" thick, has a 15" circumference, a 4 5/8" diameter, and is 1 1/8" wide. My neck is about 17 1/2" circumference. This neoprene comes in rolls/sheets to match your needs. The roll is 15" x 60". Be sure that you are buying "sponge neoprene without an adhesive back." Very often a similar product is solid rubber. That would be way too uncomfortable and probably not seal against the skin as it's too rigid.

Apollo has a similar product made out of silicone but they are about $59/$79... You can get a new seal replaced for that!

Dive Bio Seals | Apollo USA Scuba

I will probably the width 2" to compensate for the extra movements a new diver makes.

20180821_182208~2.jpg

Attachments

• 20180821_185755_Burst01~2.jpg
    20180821_185755_Burst01~2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 119
I'll make one for anyone that would like one but doesn't want to buy the neoprene or doesn't have crafting skills... $9.95 or $11.95 + shipping...

I have it listed on eBay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom