Homestead Crater details, vent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rollerboi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone here know the location and depth of the vent at the Crater? A past instructor showed me once before, and I'd love to find it again. It's just a small thing, about three fingers wide. :)

Anything else of interest in there, geologically or otherwise? I know they suspect there's a tunnel below the silt, but I'm not messing below the surface. There's the wagon wheel, the various toy animals on the platform, and some debris that looks like pipes/boards or something on the bottom.

I've found the vandalism on the sides, which really pisses me off. So far, there's an alien head, a tic-tac-toe game, and something larger that I don't remember off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Right now it's easy to find. They (Crater Staff) have stuffed a purple 'foam floaty toy' in the vent to help keep the level up. If it is removed the level will drop about 2 feet in a few hours. Good thing I asked them about it before I yanked it out thinking some nimrod stuffed it in there. It's at about 10 feet right off the back left buoy. If the toy is gone look for a small 'spout'

There is a bit of a cavern on the bottom. Whether it leads any where nobody knows, besides we/you're are not supposed be down there anyway. :no: :wink:
The pipes actually have the buoys and the diamond tied to them. We know that because some guy got tangled up in the diamond rope last week and lifted it off the bottom just before he did a BC eject but that's a different topic.

'Grafitti' on the walls is common but fear not, as soon as someone rototillers the bottom or fins the sides the walls are freshly 'painted' the next day.

I'll be there this weekend and I'll draw some arrows on the wall for you to help you find all the cool stuff.

Right now it's easy to find.
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out.

There is a bit of a cavern on the bottom. Whether it leads any where nobody knows, besides we/you're are not supposed be down there anyway. :no: :wink:
Actually, I'm working on my Deep Diver cert, so we have permission to be that low. :) However, it's true they don't want folks 'discovering' the cavern area since they don't want to deal with a possible cave system. Considering the number of OW divers that come through the crater, a 65 ft bottom is good enough for all involved.

The pipes actually have the buoys and the diamond tied to them. We know that because some guy got tangled up in the diamond rope last week and lifted it off the bottom just before he did a BC eject but that's a different topic.
I think that guy has made the gossip rounds. My instructor mentioned someone who did a CESA about a week ago. :)

'Grafitti' on the walls is common but fear not, as soon as someone rototillers the bottom or fins the sides the walls are freshly 'painted' the next day.
Oh, it's just in loose silt? I thought it was etched into stone walls, which made me mad. :)

I'll be there this weekend and I'll draw some arrows on the wall for you to help you find all the cool stuff.
Haha okay, sounds great! I'll most likely be there Tuesday night, so hopefully the arrows will remain.

Thanks for the response!

Wow, had no idea that there was a 'vent'. I was just up there last week, I'll have to look for it next time I'm up there.

The little cavern near the bottom is not much of anything. It's too small to get into and doesn't go anywhere. They'll know right away if you try to get inside because a nuclear silt bomb will head up to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom