Honeymoon in St. Lucia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twoDivers

Registered
Reaction score
My new wife and I are going to St. Lucia Jan. 3rd. I can't wait! We just got married on Nov 30th. It's still pretty weird to refer to her as my 'wife', I guess I'll get used to it eventually.

For anyone who has been to St. Lucia. How is the diving? We just got certified in Oct, so this will be our first experience in the ocean. The anticipation is killing me! I hope we have a safe, fun trip.

I don't know anything about St. Lucia but I wanted to congratulate you on your marriage! You'll get used to the "wife" thing--eventually! I was married June 22 and still call my husband my boyfriend fairly regularly:) That's ok though, he was a GREAT boyfriend and I hope we can continue the fun we had when we were just "dating."

I'm sure you'll have a GREAT trip! Tell everyone you meet you're on your honeymoon just for the fun of it!
Ber :bunny:

I dove with Anse Chastenet off Soufriere. Very good dive operation. Some current. Decent visibility. Most dives were drift dives. A couple of small wrecks. Nice wall right in front of the resort makes for great night diving conditions. Lots of crabs, lobsters, and urchins. Saw a Portugese man-o war. A couple of decent wrecks. On a scale of one to ten the diving was a six.

Hi and Congratulations!
After I post this, I'm going to move your thread over to the Caribbean section.
I really liked St. Lucia. I dove with Le Sport. It was all shore diving, so I can't tell you much about the dive boats.
I can say we enjoyed it and would go back.
I saw my first octopus and sea horse there so it will always be special to me.
Have fun!

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in St. Lucia about 5 years ago. We weren't certified yet, but did lots of snorkelling at various locations on the island. We loved the island and the locals but we stayed at Rendezvouz Resort and hated it. It was summer camp for adults. If you try to do your own thing it seemed like the staff resented you. It was all inclusive and the pay restaurant at the resort was pretty good, but the buffet food was crap and If you wanted to eat you better damn well get there when they tell ya or you'll do without. The buffet hours aren't very long and it was extremely difficult to try to do things like explore the island , go snorkelling at other places, and stuff like that, and still be able to get to the buffet while it was open. We gave up on the buffet right away and ate almost all of our meals in town even though we paid for the all inclusive. We were talking to one of the managers and we told him of some of the restaurants we had eaten at and he got all offended or something because we were going off the resort grounds to eat...(the fool didn't seem to realize that by us doing this he could serve the food we already paid for to someone else and charge twice for it)..he seemed pretty cool, but my wife said that if I ever left her to get a drink, he would start hitting on her and would then stop when I came back. She thought he was pretty creepy.

Anyhows, the local restaurants that we ate at were very good. The staff at our resort kept telling us not to go to the open market in Soufriere because there were lots of unsavory types and we would get robbed. "They will take your wedding ring right off your finger" we were constantly reminded. Of course we went and it was really cool. The vendors were all very friendly an on the level. Nobody mugged us and we felt very safe the whole time. The real deal is that they don't want you to take your money off the resort property (where prices are also much cheaper for souvineers and stuff).

If you tried to break any American bills(currency) and get American currency back(we were close to the end of our vacation and didn't want a whole bunch of E.C. money back) at the resort it was,"I can't break that bill and I don't have enough change" so you would buy some overpriced piece of crap shirt or something to get change, when they opened the cash drawer of course you could see plenty of American dollars in there. We tried to walk down the beach about 50yards or so one night get away from the blasting dance beat of the music at the outdoor bar, and to be alone (it was our honeymoon after all) and the security guard (who was also one the waiters and the gardener) wouldn't let us walk down the beach. We kept telling him we were only going a little ways down the beach. He kept telling us he couldn't let us because he couldn't guarantee our safety. We told him we didn't expect him to guarantee our safety and with what the trip cost (about $330.00 p/ night ), we were going down the beach to get away from the music whether he liked it or not.

All the taxis worked for the resort and if you asked where the best snorkelling on the island was they would say" Le Sport"(a resort owned by the same company) when in fact the reef at Anse Chanstenet was the best by far. We would ask them to take us there and they would say you can't get there by land only by boat. We spent a couple afternoons snorkelling at Le Sport and it was a really nice resort with a really nice beach and some cool coral heads. It was very laid back and not at all like the "summer camp for adults" we were at. I really liked Le Sport.

At Rendezvouz, there are independent taxi drivers that hide behind the watersports shack to try to pick up fares. We asked one of these guys if we could get to Anse Chanstenet by land and he said there was a road but it was long and bumpy and thats why the resort taxis wouldn't take people there. He said he would take us and he did. When we got there he opened his trunk and asked us if we needed to borrow some gear(he had about three complete sets of snorkel gear). We told him no we had our own. We asked when he could come to pick us up and he said he was going snorkelling too. His name was Edwin and he was really cool. We refer to him as "Edwin the Rogue Taxi Driver" because we found him behind the watersport shed hiding out from the hotel staff, and trying to pick up fares. He was a great guy. We ended up just hiring him for the whole day for about $100 and he took us all around the island and over to the Pitons(you gotta check out the Pitons!..beautiful!). It was a great day that we would never have experienced had we let the Resort lead us around like they seemed to always want to do. I mean, my whole life in the USA seems like it's just one big schedule sometimes...when I'm paying $3,500 for a vacation I want to do things on my time shedule not the resort's...you know what I mean?

Ahyhows, Anse Chanstenet is also a beautiful resort. It cost a little more than our resort and so that's why we didn't pick it... what a mistake! If you are divers, I would recommend Anse Chanstenet. It has better reefs and it's on the side of a hill. You get a room up the hill a ways and you get a great view of the Pitons. Although, it's pretty isolated. If you want to spend alot of time exploring the island, it may not be the best choice as it is in fact quite a long and bumpy ride if you travel by land and the water taxis are quite a bit more expensive.
If you want to venture out alot, you might try Le Sport it's laid back and pretty nice. If (and when) I were to go back, I would stay at one of these two resorts.

We did a rain forest /snorkel tour through our resort and it was really cool. I forget the name of the operation but our guide was named" Big Joe". He was totally cool. If you can get with his tour group that would definately be the way to go. Sorry I can't remember the name of the tour, but everywhere we went (and I mean EVERYWHERE), all the locals were always saying hello to Big Joe, so if you did some good research, you might be able to find out the name of the tour operation.

We hated Rendezvouz, but because we spent so little time there we really had a great trip...I would love to go back!

Sorry my post is so long, but it's info I thought might be of value to you. Also, I have posted in other threads about different aspects of our trip there. Do a search on the scubaboard and you will find some of those posts. In one of them I posted Edwin the Rogue Taxi Driver's cab# and phone #. I don't know if he's still there, but if he is, he makes an excellent guide for a day..try looking him up.

By the way, where are y'all stayin'.....where ever you stay, I would recommend venturing out a little. It really is a beautiful island.

Anyhows,.... Congrats and I hope this helps..... oh, and you will find it weird how quickly you get used to callin' her "wife"..:)

Thanks for all the information. We are staying at the Sandals Halcyon resort. It too is an all-inclusive resort. From looking at their web site it seems like a pretty nice place. I was really interested in staying at Sandals when I saw that even scuba gear is included. From what I've read, it seems like we can eat or drink anything and anytime throughout the day at any of the three Sandals resorts restaurants for free. I just hope that everything is as easy as it seems in all of their literature. I know a few other people who have been to other Sandals resorts on some of the other islands, and they all had a great time, and had no complaints at all. I'll be sure to report back here when we return around Jan 10th. Thanks again for the info.

We passed by Sandals on our way to Le Sport. We couldn't see much of it from the road but in the brochures it looked nice.

I need to clarify something from my previous post. Now that I think about it, the open air market is in the capital city which I believe is called Castries...not Soufriere. I think Soufriere is the village nestled between the Pitons...it's been a while since I've been there. You might want to try checking out the open air market for souvineers and knick knack type stuff. The prices are much better there and there are many more selections of stuff to choose from...My wife ended up buying a huge bag of a spice called safron (she loves to cook) which I guess is pretty expensive in the States. She said it was really cheap there...When she came up to me and showed me what she bought, my first thought upon seeing the big bag of spice was, " Great! now we are gonna get to experience a body cavity search at customs on the return trip!" :D Luckily, that didn't happen...

Sandals is situated in a good spot for exploring the island. It's by the main road and pretty close to Castries and some good restaurants. We ate at a great restaurant not too far from Sandals. I'm sorry I can't remember what it was scalled, but it was right on the big Marina(I think it's between Sandals and Le Sport. It has a covered dock with tables right on the water. It was a steak and seafood type place and it was EXCELLANT!...the surf and turf ROCKED!..

The first thing I did when we got there (as I do whenever we go on a vacation) was to grab the phone book in the hotel room and check out the yellow pages for restaurants, clubs, shops, etc.

Also, sometimes you can find those tabloid type news papers in the room or in a shop or something. They usually have sections toward the back that are a great source for getting the feel of what there is on the island to see and do. Also talk to the locals. They are a great source for this type of info. I always ask about a dozen locals, "Where's the best snorkelling, eating, clubs, (whatever you're trying to find out about), and the answer that keeps coming back the most, is the one I usually go with. Although, it didn't work with the hotel taxis or staff, it always panned out really well when I tried this method with the islanders and the "rogue" taxi drivers.

Anyhows, have a great trip and be sure to post a trip report when you get back...you lucky dog.
:wink:

We were there in 1998, like you newly certified and it was our first warm-water diving. We went out on the morning dive every day and loved it. The dive op was nice (wonder if St. Rose is still there? If so, he's friendly and a good DM) and the tropical fish so much different than what we'd seen in the cool California waters. The morning dives were better as they weren't as crowded and conditions are usually better in the morning. We also did a night dive (I think it cost $45). First had to do a check out dive in the pool, but after that it was just get your gear and get to the boat and off you went. We usually only had 6 people on the morning dives. Our first dive was at the preserve which is right by Anse Chastanet ... Pitons are lovely (also have Piton beer). Yup, all the scuba included except a wetsuit and night dive(s).

The snack shack was run by Estelle and Pamela. They are two very nice ladies who will know your name about the third time you eat there.

Food options are varied, and one even requires reservations. Nice resort, small, and no children. Two pools -- one for rowdy fun and one for just soaking up the rays and floating on the water. Swim up bars at both. You can do as much or as little as you'd like. There's another resort (I think there are now three, but only two when we were there) and you can go to any of them and have privileges. We stayed where we were as that is the smallest and quietest.

We enjoyed and have some terrific memories of Sandals St. Lucia.

Enjoy,
Margaret

St. Lucia is a very beautiful and lush island :) Be sure to see it topside as well as the diving. There is much to see :)

Congrats on your marriage!

Be sure to enjoy St Lucia and definitely post a report when you come back. I am going for the first time in April next year (staying at Anse Chastanet) and would love to hear how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom