Hong Kong airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HK airport is NOT efficient at all.
Check in counter usually closed 30 mins before departure time. There was a case several years ago when a local woman was late for check in so she threw a tantrum in front of everyone. At the end CX put her on another flight.

I agree with most others. I am not saying that it is not doable, but there are too many things that are out of your control. Others have alluded to these already. If you decide to stick with this, and if this is your first time thru HK Airport, it might help to download a map of the airport, so that you don't waste time figuring how to get to where you have to go. For example, once you retrieve your bags and exit, it helps to know where the nearest elevator is to get to the Departures floor (Level 7, normally), which row (A to K) is Singapore Airlines in, and a general idea of the gates layout.

There are obviously other options for getting to Manado from HK, but it depends on whether you wish to spend the money to make the changes, and if the connection times are more favorable. Garuda flies from HK to Manado by way of Jakarta.

Good luck.

If I can piggyback here ...

With the various trade tensions and posturing, plus the recent arrest of a Huawei executive in Canada at the request of the USA, and subsequent detention of a number of Canadian citizens by the Chinese, I'm just wondering if there is an increased risk for US citizens connecting in HKG?

(AND PLEASE! This is not an invitation / opportunity to debate the wisdom of the above mentioned actions. Just a question - with a little context - about the advisability of using HKG as a connecting point.)

When I have a connection at HK I prefer to go a day early, stay at airport Marriott, take their shuttle to the shopping mall. Start getting acclimated to the time change.

Thanks everyone, Ended up changing my Singapore Air ticket. I now have 4 1/2 hrs. No problem. I knew better when I booked the flight. $321 but better now to pay up front, and not worry.
Tough duty rebooking. First guy told me he could wave fees if I could give him my American flight #. Didn’t have it at the time. Called back an hour latter, different guy of course. Was told he could do nothing. Ticket issued in Hong Kong, would have to call there. Only international service I have is Canada and Mexico. So I tried to use there website. No problem changing time, but $721. I could buy a new ticket for $521. So called customer service again, got a nice lady. Changed to next flight for $321. I hate airlines

Since we’re on the topic of HKG, I was told by a person who knows someone who works at HKG customs (friend of a friend thing) that if you are Canadian or coming off a flight from Canada, it is possible that you may be searched for cannabis. This is obviously a new policy due to our recent legalization of cannabis. Oh, and the customs agents get some sort of a bonus if they catch someone so they’re particularly diligent about this. That’s the story I heard. Might be true, might not be, although I did witness someone in front of us get directed to a search area just before exiting the final gates. Never saw that before.

Since we’re on the topic of HKG, I was told by a person who knows someone who works at HKG customs (friend of a friend thing) that if you are Canadian or coming off a flight from Canada, it is possible that you may be searched for cannabis. This is obviously a new policy due to our recent legalization of cannabis. Oh, and the customs agents get some sort of a bonus if they catch someone so they’re particularly diligent about this. That’s the story I heard. Might be true, might not be, although I did witness someone in front of us get directed to a search area just before exiting the final gates. Never saw that before.

When I came back to the U.S. from Thailand, there was a person going through Nothing to Declare with a big box that said, "Live Fish". Maybe it's just a reused box, but customs didn't seem concerned.

If I can piggyback here ...

With the various trade tensions and posturing, plus the recent arrest of a Huawei executive in Canada at the request of the USA, and subsequent detention of a number of Canadian citizens by the Chinese, I'm just wondering if there is an increased risk for US citizens connecting in HKG?

(AND PLEASE! This is not an invitation / opportunity to debate the wisdom of the above mentioned actions. Just a question - with a little context - about the advisability of using HKG as a connecting point.)
I had given you a reply but the MOD regarded it as political and deleted it!
There are a lot of info about the topic on line if you care to search it.

although I did witness someone in front of us get directed to a search area just before exiting the final gates. Never saw that before.
Experienced it once! Swiped my bag but found nothing interesting.

Back
Top Bottom