Hong Kong diver killed by prop - Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Foreigner hit by propeller of motor banca
A 54-year-old tourist from Hong Kong died after his head was hit by a propeller of a motor banca off the waters of Apo Island, Negros Oriental, a popular diving spot, on Saturday Morning.

The victim, Young Tai Hang, boarded with his wife and two other Hong Kong nationals on the motor banca owned by Asure Beach Resort.

Based on the initial police investigation, Hang did not notice that another motor banca was approaching at the time when he emerged from diving.

The motor banca Miles ll, was manned by the boat captain Juvy Baat, 28, a resident of Barangay Liloan, Santander town, southern Cebu.

The said vessel is owned by Ulysis Peñaflor of Barangay Bantayan, Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental.

Police arrested Baat, who is now detained at the jail facility of Dauin Police.

He will be charged with reckless imprudence resulting to homicide.

Condolences to Hang’s family & friends.

It’s a good habit to look up, may even launch DSMB before we breach the surface alone, especially when we hear motor as we ascend.

It’s a good habit to look up, may even launch DSMB before we breach the surface alone, especially when we hear motor as we ascend.
We all know that Scuba is a potentially dangerous sport that we try to manage safely - more so for me as I learn what I didn't know when I started. Prop hits are among the scariest to me. I always use my own Dsmb, but if I hear a motor - I try to stay down as long as it takes for it to leave.

So sad and just horrible.

I wonder if the diver launched a dsmb.

So sad and just horrible.

I wonder if the diver launched a dsmb.
I rarely seen recreational diver launch his/her own smb. In some places even the local DM has the tendency to neglect the practice.
Only until recently launching smb was NOT taught at all in recreational diving courses and plenty of divers that I had came across did not carry one let alone know how to fire one under water. I learnt the skill when I started tec dive back in 1998.

Only until recently launching smb was NOT taught at all in recreational diving courses and plenty of divers that I had came across did not carry one let alone know how to fire one under water. I learnt the skill when I started tec dive back in 1998.
As far I remember I had to get one and be trained for my PADI Rescue.

It is a requirement by NAUI as far as I know, I had to use one for Advanced Scuba Diving.

SMB deployment is a required skill for PADI OW

SMB deployment is a required skill for PADI OW

Not when I got certified in 2012. In fact, I did not deploy my own dSMB until this past December as part of AOW, and it was as a result of me specifically requesting the instructor to teach me. It wasn’t part of the OW or AOW, as far as I knew.

Edit: I never deployed an SMB at the surface either, as part of either OW or AOW. Was it a mandatory skill or an optional one?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom