Hong Kong tourist dies during dive near Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whether the right thing to do is to climb up the wall, swim out, or climb along the wall depends on the specific current. This is sometimes, but only sometimes, predictable for a specific site. Swimming out from the wall during a down current at Crystal Bay can get you killed.

I was diving at Crystal Bay a couple of years ago just after doing my AOW. At the pre-dive briefing, we were somewhat casually told to stay close to the wall because of the risk of down currents. Half way through the dive at around 20 meters we were hit by one and I only realized because I saw the DM hanging on to a rock on the slope. I managed to get to the wall and crawl up out of the current, but it was not easy and as I was not wearing gloves, my hands got all shredded. Quite a scary experience, but I guess if it doesn’t kill you ……

"....Ng Chi Ming, 40, went for a dive with 10 other people who were part of a diving company at about 6.40am yesterday.

After 10 minutes of diving and resurfacing, the dive master realised that a member of his group was missing, and searched for Ng in the area for about 45 minutes...."

Not sure whether the down current was happening here though, if 10 out of 11 divers didn't experience the down current. The down currents that I experience in Crystal Bay were spread wide enough that several divers would also experience it.

My speculation is he may not realize that he went too deep & got into narcosis, sank even deeper because things can get pretty calm & relaxing at the deep. No buddy was watching him.

The reason I say this is because I speak from my own experience. On my dive log #15 (my first open water trip, a total rookie), 12 years ago, I went pretty deep, 126' (38m) in dive site called Son of Rock Monster in Cayman Brac. Fortunately I was with a more experienced dive buddy who was watching me very closely. When we went into a crack starting at 60' (20m) deep entrance & came out of a 100' (30m) deep exit into the blue, I was fascinated with the good visibility & serenity of the surrounding without realizing I was sinking down to 126' until my buddy calmly gave me a sign to ascend (open hands with palms facing the surface and move down & up from waist to chest).

Last edited:
I skipped Crystal Bay for the exact reason you mentioned when I went for mola mola trip to Bali a couple of years ago. Crazy, I know. But I also know when I shouldn't push my limit too far and put me or anyone else in danger.

Fortunately, Crystal Bay wasn't the only place you could see mola mola in Bali. I got to meet one without making news headline for the day, so I was happy.

Same here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom