Honolulu to Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be in Honolulu End of October first of November. I'd love to do the manta night dive off the big island. It would be a shame to be so close and not do it. Although it is a far way to go for just one dive. Is there a charter/service to get from Oahu to the big island, without spending a small fortune. Any other options ? I could stay overnight which would seem the only option.

I've done it two times and for me it was such an incredible, amazing experience it's difficult to put a price on it. Would it be worth a trip to Kona if all you did was the manta night dive? Probably.

The first time I did it there were only four mantas, but three of them swam back and forth the whole time so three can be a lot! The second time they counted seventeen mantas and it was even more amazing. Both times they were swimming within an inch over my head. There is always a chance that no mantas will show up, but personally I'd spend the $300 or so (island hopper, hotel) rather than pass up the opportunity. That way you won't end up some day saying "I shoulda done this or I shoulda done that."

I liked manta snorkeling more than diving.

I have three friends who did the snorkeling and although they all said it was really great I got the impression that their experience did not have the same depth as mine. :wink:

I have three friends who did the snorkeling and although they all said it was really great I got the impression that their experience did not have the same depth as mine. :wink:
Snorkeling felt less crowded. In any case, I won't do either one again.

Here’s a link to a video I took:
Joe Marri

I just did the manta dive again - I was scheduled on a morning advanced boat that got cancelled but still wanted to dive that day. We saw something like 26 mantas. I sat front row and for 45 minutes felt like I was living in a science fiction movie. The mantas were big and plentiful, plus lots of fish, eels swimming around, etc. There were a ton of boats at the site but we were the first ones in so we got ‘front row’. The dive groups kneel on the bottom so you may end up with someone kneeling in front of you, but I don’t know that I’d care if I was second row. Still it never felt crowded to me. I think the captains keep an eye on who’s going when and try to avoid sending everyone down at once.

Last edited:
What law are you referring to? Is something missing here?

I may have been incorrect - it looks like PADI has a restriction on instructors per # divers and that could be what I heard the shop operator talking about. I can’t find many HI laws on diving, other than the linked amendment.

I'll be coming in from Oahu Hawaiian Air to do this. Thinking to bring my own gear. Are there any restrictions on rechargable Lithium batteries or weight limitations domestic? Didn't see any on their website contract of carriage. $35 extra luggage charge domestic and $100 from the US

Unless the mantas have become 100% reliable, be aware that you could get skunked anytime. My husband did it when he was there on a business trip once and there were zero. (We did it on another trip and had 20+) It's neat but I don't know I would take the trouble of flying to another island for just one dive. Is there any way you can spend a few days?

I was also skunked when I did it. Big Island Divers offers 50% off your next trip if you don’t see mantas which is nice. Unfortunately it was the 2 nights before my trip ended so I couldn’t go again and still have 24 hours before my flight. On the other hand, we saw some really cool night creatures and the 50% off offer doesn’t expire. I will be back!

If you have the option, it is better to book a special dive or excursion early during your trip, so if you are disappointed you might have a chance to try again a few days later - but no guarantees.

I know that a liveaboard isn't attractive (or even feasible) for everyone, but that's another good reason to take a trip on the Kona Aggressor if you can manage it. They did the Manta dive later at night, after the shore-based boats had left. We were the only boat on site and there were loads of mantas and it was a fabulous experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom