Hood and booties for Galapagos Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theDrExplorer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're hoping to travel to the Galapagos in the colder October/November season, and have been reading through everyone's reports and experiences. Thank you all for putting so much information together! Since we've mostly been warm water divers (lowest temperature we've experienced was a 20-21 degrees Celsius or 70 degree F thermocline in Taiwan), our plan is to get there for a few days of land-based diving to dial in our new gear and weighting in 7mm wetsuits and then do a liveaboard.

Our plan is to rent 7mm wetsuits onboard our liveaboard (and they're also provided for free at the land-based dive shop in Santa Cruz), and it seems to be the consensus in the trip reports that 7mm should be ok. For reference, we dove in 3mm rental neoprene mostly before obtaining a specialized 2-piece 1.3mm quickdry wetsuit material from Taiwan that may be similar to Sharkskins or Bare material (supposedly with the same heat-retaining properties as a 3mm). So, just wanted to confirm a couple of things...
  • Gloves: People have mentioned having gloves is necessary for grabbing onto barnacle-filled rocks at Darwin/Wolf, so we plan on bringing kevlar cut-resistant work gloves like these: https://www.amazon.com/DEX-FIT-Resi...ar+Gloves+Cut+Resistant&qid=1601767141&sr=8-6
    I remember reading that there wasn't any need to have cold-water gloves, so I'm hoping these are appropriate.
  • Hood: Having a hood or a hooded vest seems to be important, but I don't remember seeing anyone mention which kind of hood exactly (thickness/warmthi-wise)? I'm trying to figure out whether a Bare Exowear hood would be sufficient? I've tested out the Bare Exowear hood as well as a Neosport 5/3mm neoprene hood so far (have more on the way), and the Bare Exowear is infinitely more comfortable. I know that warmth is a highly personal thing dependent on a number of factors, but what have people worn in the Galapagos, and what worked or didn't work?
  • Booties: I've only worn booties on shore dives, and they've been 5mm with pretty sturdy soles due to the kind of rock that we had to walk to enter the ocean. Do we need thick booties (more than 2mm) for Galapagos or have people dove with just full-foot fins (or just with lycra socks)?
Please share your experience! These are mainly warmth-related questions, but if you have other tips that you're willing to share, I'd be happy to learn from them!

I wore a full 7mm with or without a 5/3mm hooded vest during my visit. The water temperature varies quite dramatically. Of course, exposure protection is quite individual.
Galapagos Aggressor III April 26-May 3, 2018

Thank you scubadada... I did read your report, thank you!
Did you base whether you were going to wear the hooded vest on the water temperatures presented at the briefing?
Also, would you mind sharing your experience with gloves or booties on the Galapagos Aggressor?

I wear the Bare Exotherm gear in Cozumel. I can't imagine using it in 60 degree water.

If my Exotherm is not enough, I use this one (without the skirt):

H1 5/7mm - Waterproof Diving

I've had it on dives between 40 - 70 degrees and appreciated it every time. It vents well, is comfortable and a little extra thickness on the head isn't as noticable versus the more movable other parts of your body.

Have fun!

Thank you scubadada... I did read your report, thank you!
Did you base whether you were going to wear the hooded vest on the water temperatures presented at the briefing?
Also, would you mind sharing your experience with gloves or booties on the Galapagos Aggressor?
On our trip, all the dives were cold enough that I wore the full suit and hooded vest except for Darwin and Wolf. Punta Carrion, Bartolome, Cabo Marshall, Punta Vicente Roca, and Cousin's Rocks were between 63 and 74. I was very comfortable with the hooded vest. Darwin and Wolf were between 76 and 78. We were told it would be warmer. After the 1st dive here, I did not use the hooded vest for the rest of the 8 dives and was very comfortable. I hate being cold, I often wear more than some others, I'm very used to my equipment. I quit wearing a hood many years ago, if I need the extra warmth, I use a hooded vest, personally find it more comfortable, and warmer.

I wore mid top 3 mm booties the whole time, my feet don't get cold. I only wear heavier booties when I'm diving in colder water, 50s. I wore 3 mm gloves with a Kevlar palm for many of the dives, especially if we would be clinging to the rocks in current. I had already tried them out at Cocos. The gloves you posted should be just fine.

I don't know your itinerary or the conditions in the fall. You may be able to get reliable information from your operator. Have a great trip, Galagpagos is one of my two favorites, along with Revillagigedos.

I wore a drysuit last January. I didn't notice the water temperature during the warmer dives, but everyone in wetsuits noticed it during the colder dives.

If I had the money to afford a trip like that, I think I would buy wetsuits. Wearing a rental 3 mm suit in warm water that is a little tight or a little loose, is not a big deal.

A 7 mm suit that is old and stiff, beat up and compressed or ill-fitting will significantly compromise the whole dive experience. For comfort, it is essential that the suit be in good shape and fit well. Same for a hood in cool water.

Way more important than a BC in my opinion.

Indeed it is a decent financial commitment to go dive in the Galapagos... although there are some significant discounts to be had at the moment with the liveaboards as well as for award flight tickets.

I was trying to avoid having to buy a 7mm wetsuit when I foresee most of my diving to be in warm water locales, and also trying to save a bit here and there given that this is already such a substantial trip. I do see your points on how being cold and miserable might make those dives infinitely less enjoyable. :cool: Now I'm off to research wetsuits....

Thank you! :snorkel:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom