Hood and Mask - Which comes first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBASailor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning my first dive requiring a hood, and a very basic question occurred to me. Is the hood worn on top of the mask strap, or vice-versa?

I tried it out in the pool once with the mask on top of the hood, and experienced a little more leakage than normal in the mask, bit not too bad.

I haven't had the chance to get back in the pool to try it the other way yet. But I figure I will be trading a little mask leakage for a little hood leakage. As the water on this trip will not be terribly cold (low 70's), I'm thinking a little hood leakage (hood on top) will be the better scenario.

Even once I try it the other way, I'd still like to get the opinion of regular hood divers to see what you do.

i've tried it both ways, and settled on mask over hood, probably for some sort of convenience's sake. I think everyone i dive with does mask over hood as well.

Putting the mask under the hood is a good way to keep it right where its supposed to be-harder to knock it off and lose it. I never put the mask under the hood because it feels strange. I also don't dive my hood when the water is in the 70'2...I have a beanie which is has a greater range of motion and is easier to put on.

Mask is occasionally worn under the hood by some divers. I have never tried this. Most, I think, would wear the mask over the hood. This should cause no "mask leakage" if properly worn. After your mask is in place over the hood run your fingers under the edge of the hood and over the mask skirt all the way around. This will insure that the mask skirt has full contact with your face and none of the edges of the skirt are over the rim of the hood. If your hood does not have holes at the top you will likely need to address this problem. When you equalize, air will likely seep from the mask into the hood creating a bubble on top of your head. I have burned 8 holes (2 rows of four) down the center of the hood to allow air to escape. This can be done a number of ways - a heated nail held by pliers works well and will seal the edges. Some hoods come from the manufacturer with holes in place - look carefully, they're sometimes difficult to see.

My PADI instructor taught us to put the mask under the hood. Makes it near impossible for a clumsy buddy to kick it off your face no matter how hard he/she tries. It also forces you to keep your mask in place until AFTER you exit the water. Something that most of us should also have been taught in OW class.

I wear and have always been taught to wear your mask on the outside of your hood, simply due to the fact your not going to take your hood off to replace your mask if need be.

Given this is a recreational Basic forum i can see that most here would never consider the need to swap out a mask, however when you advance in your diving and ever go technical then a backup mask is always in place in your pocket and you would be surprised of how often you are required to deploy it.

Keep in mind they do require you to do mask removal as part of your Openwater for nothing :D while sure the hood will stop the mask from moving too much in the case of your buddy kicking it, however to does not mean the mask wont break ( Mask strap buckle or crack the lens).

i wear my mask over my hood. you might have to loosen the strap, but it shouldn't cause more leakage unless the edge of the hood is under the edge of the mask.

i do this mainly because i put my mask on last. the hood helps hold my hair out of the way, and i have less time hanging around breathing out of my mouth. plus, i have to adjust the strap up my head sometimes & i'd hate to try digging under the hood to do that.

*but* - try both and see what you prefer. there's no right or wrong, like most things with diving, just preference. if you've given both a shot & like the mask under & have some reasons, that's good enough.

Interesting responses. I've never seen anyone dive with the mask under the hood, but obviously people do. Over the hood for me and my wife with the hood's face opening trimmed so that it overlaps the mask skirt. When we're cold water diving we add the hood/mask skirt fit to our buddy check to make sure the hood isn't under the skirt.

The Mask has never been an issue with me.. If some are sharing so will I.

I dive the same hood all year round, Either i wear it or i don't often our waters in the lakes stay at a temperature where its required, I wear a Henderson Gold core wet suit hood trimmed down for my drysuit. My mask goes on after the hood and the mask skirt is tucked in under the hair and hood to prevent leakage.

When my dive is done my fins come off and my mask comes off and straight into my Fin pocket... this ensures i don't forget it anywheres. I use spring straps on my fins so when boat diving i put one fin around each wrist and my mask into the fin pocket and with Regulator in mouth i climb aboard, If for some reason i happen to fall back into the water ( rough seas or something ) then i know exactly where the mask is and its deployed with out issue.

I dive with my mask over the hood when I'm in class and flooding a mask, mask removal drills or no mask swim drills are expected. All other times, I dive with it under my hood to avoid it being kicked off or knocked off by another diver, current, or giant striding into the water.

I've seen on several occasions mask being kicked off by other divers or after someone giant strides into the water and mask comes off. None of these have happened to me but I'd rather err on the safe side.

There isn't a right answer for all occasions, whatever works best for your type of diving is best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom